Thursday, May 28, 2009

LIfe and Death on the Farm (T's post)

Life and Death on the Farm.

R mentioned the hatching of our very first chick this morning. How wonderful! What a special thing to reach into the box and find a chick still wearing a "shell hat", still damp from hatching!

Tonight we took the trip to get turkey feed and got home after dark, about a half hour too late. Today, the day we witnessed birth, we also had to administer death and say goodbye to our friend Yogi Ducka. We found her nearly dead from wounds inflicted by a what we strongly suspect was a raccoon.

I was reading a short story in Green Prints (great magazine filled with humorous and thoughtful gardening stories(www.greenprints.com)and found a quote that I philosophically agree with, but tonight I can't quite reconcile myself to: "God created all creatures in this world, big and small, for some purpose" (Summer 2009,p. 73).

Could someone please tell me what purpose raccoons serve? Aside from reminding me that I really am not in charge at all, I can't think of a single useful purpose these death-bringing creatures serve.

tf

1 comment:

  1. I started to formulate a theological treatise in my head on whether or not all creatures actually do have a purpose and whether or not humans have sufficiently screwed up creation enough to void all purpose of creatures like raccoons.

    Then I realized all I really wanted to say was: I'm sorry for your loss of Yogi Ducka. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.