We were finally able to match up a calm day with our full complement of workers AND no CSA distribution on that day where we could move the high tunnel over the plants we put in the ground. The first time we moved our other high tunnel was a bit rough, so we wanted to be prepared to discover some issues as we went.
|The new high tunnel in the West position.|
Unfortunately, the soil in the West position was pretty close to unworkable. We attribute this to two problems. First - our excavation work didn't happen until this Spring. And, the excavation resulted in pulling up some clay that got mixed into the top soil. Second - we had rain during the high tunnel build, this helped to create a very solid crust in the top six to eight inches of soil.
If you look at the picture at the right, you can see an area that Rob managed to broadfork. The best he came up with were some BIG chunks of dirt. If that picture doesn't work, try the next one. It gives a little more perspective so you can see exactly how bit some of those chunks really are!
|It was NOT a pleasure working with this soil.|
In any event, the meant we had to give up on the idea of planting in this position of the high tunnel this year. So, after a good bit of work, we were able to prepare the soil in the East position and get it planted. You can read about this towards the bottom of this blog post.
|New high tunnel in new field position for the rest of the year.|
|Plants acclimating themselves to having a roof over their heads.|
Our two high tunnel plan is to move one building in the Spring and one building in the Fall each year. This allows us to focus one building on early production extension and the other for late season extension.
|An in-building water source.|
Now, we need to spend some time addressing the soil quality in the West position. We've got a plan. Now we've got to execute it!