Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Who Said You Could Have a Routine?


At some point this past Winter, I was asked if I had any particular lessons I had learned after (mumble mumble) years of farming.  I was actually honored that someone was asking me that question, because that implies that at least one person has some respect for my thoughts or maybe my farming - misguided as they might be.  And, I actually like that question a lot because it encourages me to reflect, reframe and relearn.  All things I think can be very good for my mental health.

I gave what were probably some common lessons that other farmers might throw in there.  Things like, "always make sure the gate is properly latched."  Or, "a big part of the job is about how you treat water and soil."  But, there was one that actually still has me thinking because it explains some of the struggles growers on small-scale farms face.

The lesson is this - "finding a successful farming routine is a myth."  And by that, I mean an invariable routine.  A sequence of things you do daily, or monthly, or even yearly, that will almost always give you predictable results.

Certainly, there are things that could be considered a routine of sorts.  We feed and water the animals every morning and we get them safely to their shelters every night.  But, even that routine changes as the year progresses, or as the weather dictates, or as life changes require, or....

Well, you get the picture.  

For example, our routine for dealing with our animals has changed pretty dramatically over the past week.  We moved the laying flock to a new pasture area.  We moved the henlets to a new location.  We added broiler chicks to the mix.  We had to address a problem with raccoons in the laying hens and now we have to address an issue with rats and broiler chicks.  The overall routine is still food, water, shelter - but the execution is very different now.

Just when we had settled into what one might think was a pretty good routine, we went and changed all of that up.

The reality of a small-scale, diversified farm is that the routine routinely changes throughout the year.  Transitions are continuous and success is largely in how you navigate those shifts that may or may not follow the grand plan you had set out with at the beginning.

You know what?  This is a great topic.  Maybe I'll write on it more.

Once I get used to the new routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.