Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Changes On the Horizon


After a streak of four years where I averaged 300 blog posts each year, I was feeling like it was time to re-assess my writing priorities.  So, I put out the obligatory end of year/beginning of year posts and then I stopped putting much material out beyond Postal History Sunday.  This post will be published on the 24th of the month and it will be the 7th post on this blog for the year.

I can't tell you how strange this has felt - to take a break from writing.  I certainly don't miss the constant low-level stress that came from the internal pressure to produce.  But, then again, I do find myself feeling like I am missing something valuable.  It's almost as if I have removed some of the purpose from my life that, apparently, frequent writing provided for me.

On the other hand, it's not like I have decided to stop writing entirely.  I want to write differently and a nearly daily blog doesn't give space for that.

I've come to realize that I want to raise the quality of my writing.  That means each article or blog post should be given a bit more space and time to become a quality effort.  I've also been feeling pulled more to editing some of my prior work to improve them and raise their quality.  And, I'm even considering putting some of my material into a book format.  All of that is made more difficult if I'm trying to come up with something nearly every day.

 

The other major consideration for these changes is that I recognize that the motivation for my writing is, once again, evolving.  When the blog first started in 2009, it was a move from monthly Genuine Faux Farm newsletters that we sent out in emails and posted on our own website.  About 97% of the posts had something to do with promoting the farm and/or teaching readers about small-scale, diversified farming.  There were a couple of moments where I explored other writing, but that was about it.

Then, the pandemic hit in 2020.  Suddenly people were reaching for connections and I wanted to offer whatever I could to help.  Since, we had already decided that we would scale back the farm and I would take a job with Pesticide Action Network, there was more space for writing.  It turned out that there was a place for my educational posts, philosophical posts, humorous posts and... just a whole lot of posts.  I am fairly certain it was the right thing for me to do at that point in time.  And, I think some people got something positive out of it.

And, yes, regular practice in writing didn't hurt the quality of the material either.

But, as we moved into 2023, it became apparent that the landscape was changing.  People were no longer seeking this sort of connection.  On top of that, the ways I let people know that a new blog was available started to change.  Blogger stopped offering a way to send notices to those who subscribed to the blog.  Social media platforms kept changing their algorithms, making it less likely that interested people would actually see it when I offered new writing.  So, while I am not anxious or interested in becoming "popular," I found that those who had expressed interest weren't hearing that I was producing new things.

All of that put a damper on my enthusiasm.  After all, if I wanted to write a diary, I wouldn't publish it.  I typically write with an audience in mind - even if that audience is just a small (but mighty) one.  But, if you can't reach that audience reliably, the writing becomes an exercise in futility.

Now what?  Things probably shouldn't continue as they have because the old process and method is no longer fulfilling - quite possibly for everyone if no one knows there is material to read!

Well, folks, there are changes on the horizon!

First, I am exploring two new (to me) blogging platforms: Substack and Medium.  I have begun the process of establishing accounts and setting things up there.  In both cases, they allow me to establish an email contact list to those who subscribe.  That means you can opt to be notified via email when new things come out.  THEN, you can decide for yourself if you want to read or ignore each item as they come out.

I think that's a lot better than never knowing you have the option.

Second, I am considering what I want my writing load to be in the coming year.  At present, I can tell you that Postal History Sunday won't end any time soon.  I am also interested in picking up a bit more on an old, familiar topic - small-scale, diversified farming and agroecology.

I like the idea that I might be able to go on Faux Real Story writing sprees when I feel that creative urge.  And, I want to re-work and re-release some of the better posts.  And then, there's that book idea that has rolled around in my head for many years.  The biggest problem with that is the normal issue for me - available time.

That, and I'm often unwilling to keep myself from exploring and expanding my topic area.  Books don't make good places for moving targets.

So, stay tuned (if you actually get here in the first place) - something's coming, and I'm actually starting to feel good about where it's going.

Have a good remainder of your day and thank you for considering my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.