Monday, November 15, 2021

The Secret Life of a Farmer

The gate is open right now, even though it is normally latched.  You see, the farmers typically keep that gate shut, just in case things should get out that they don't want the rest of you to see.

This is a reality for many small-scale growers who focus on direct to consumer sales.  You see, we're aware that what sells our product are smiling farmers, smiling kids, calves, chicks and kittens.  Well arranged bouquets of produce and flowers with an upbeat message entreating you to come and pick up your share of the bounty are what seem to get some response for the effort.

This is just a gentle reminder to all of you who do patronize local farms for food that there are real people who are doing difficult jobs behind the beautiful pictures and positive messaging you see in social media (and wherever else you connect with these farmers).  

Now, before you get all worried.  I'm not talking about Tammy and I.  We're always unhappy, grumpy, and unsmiling and you know that.  But, as the Genuine Faux Farm moves further away from direct to consumer production, we feel we have a bit more freedom to remind those who read our blog that those fine people you do patronize - they're much more complex than the image they put in front of you in hopes that it will get you to buy their product.

Just to make the point, I want you to look at the photo above.  It was taken on a nice, sunny day.  Very little wind.  Beautiful blue skies.  

So, what draws your attention here?  The sky?  The green and growing things?  Do the interesting items in the foreground make you wonder what they might be used for?  Maybe you'll notice some fall colors in the background trees?

Guess what I see?

Well, I do see the green and blue and I can actually make myself believe that I feel the sun and a very light breeze. If you know me, or have read the blog, you know that I appreciate what nature offers us.

But, I also see no less than 14 different things I need to do on the farm over the next couple of weeks.  And, I suspect there are a couple I am not remembering at the moment.  A picture like this can introduce a bit of discontent if I'm not ready for it!

When a small-scale grower looks around their farm, they cannot escape the running tally of things that need doing - because that is what they do.  And, they do it as they also take the time to recognize and appreciate the beauty and wonder of our world.  It's the secret life of the farmer - one that builds us up and tears us down all at the same time.

And, you wonder why this farmer goes to talk to Crazy Maurice, the Weeping Willow?

Look, this is not always an easy balancing act that is going on here.  Even this photo reminds me of a half dozen other things I need to address at some point.  But, it's just a picture of a few trees and our turkey and hen pastures.

So, what exactly do I want all of those who patronize local farmers to do?  Ask your local farmer to rant and rave for a while so they might feel better?  Offer a shoulder for them to cry on?  Tell them they're lying because no one can be as happy as they seem to be on their Twitter, Facebook or Instagram pages?

Of course not.

I am asking you all to do the same thing I ask every time I take on the local foods topic.  Consistently and faithfully support your local producers.  Do it when it's not always convenient.  Be kind and patient with them, recognizing that they are walking a tightrope between joy and sorrow.  Contentedness and stress.

And maybe, you can give them permission to open up that gate once in a while - and share the secret, full life of a farmer.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for opening your gate.
    People might be interested in reading what steps are required before an egg appears in their carton. Can they guess how many times the gate in the picture must be opened before an egg is produced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the winter months... zero. Because the gate gets snowed shut! :)

      Delete

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.