Sunday, June 17, 2018

Stuck on the Farm Music Part III

Back in late January, Rob had his annual 'sick' that made it hard for him to sleep, so he sought some solace in song.  (I was going to say "music," but the alliteration was too much fun).  He played the "if you were stuck on the farm and could only have ten albums for music" game.  The first three albums are listed in Stuck on the Farm Music Part I.  We offered another three albums in part II a couple of weeks ago.  We now bring you part III.

The albums selected this far - because you all want a quick review and we really need to add to the suspense.  You know, just like all of those silly TV shows that tell you something special is coming just before the commercial break, then tell you it's coming during the entire next segment - but don't tell you until after the second commercial break?  Just like that!

Apocalyptica - Reflections
the Choir - Circle Slide
Future of Forestry - Pages
77's - Sticks and Stones
Evanescence - Synthesis
Over the Rhine - Ohio

The problem with lists like this is that you begin thinking about all of the great music you will miss out on if you have to make these choices.  But, the good news?  I don't have to live with this for real!  So, let's try to finish out the list.

Classic Crime - Phoenix
Again, there is superb songwriting.  Frankly, the work really shines in the mellower tunes, but I don't think they would stand out the way they do if there wasn't the counterpoint of rockier tunes.  This is another case where I would miss other work by the artist, but I KNOW I would miss this entire album if it were absent.   Any group that is not allergic to 3/4 or 6/8 time signatures and the periodic use of the cello is going to get my attention anyway.


Charlie Peacock - the Secret of Time
There is no getting away from a little bit of nostalgia in making a list like this.  But, I see nothing wrong with selecting an album that you have not tired of, even though part of its appeal is the memories it brings back for your inspection.  Tammy and I had the privilege of attending a Charlie Peacock Trio concert featuring Charlie, Jimmy A and Vince Ebo.  We witnessed musicianship at its finest that night and these songs reflect the skill and passion we witnessed.  And, we've heard very few writers use as many multi-syllable words in lyrics as Mr. Peacock does.


the Call - To Heaven and Back
There are certain vocalists that you would say they have a 'big' voice.  Michael Been's voice wasn't just big, it was huge.  We're not certain he ever really needed a microphone.  But, while it was big, it could still run the full range of emotion.  I was tempted to select Reconciled in part because it has one of the best tunes I've ever heard on it.  But, song for song, I actually like this album better.  Maybe I can get a flyer for "I Still Believe" and glue it on to this album somehow?



But, what do I pick for the tenth spot?  I really can't decide.  So...

I'll make you all wait for one more post!  (BWAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA! - evil laugh)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.