Friday, November 13, 2020

Signs


Sometimes, you just can't ignore the signs that something needs to be different.  And, at other times, you should not ignore the signs that carry an important message while maintaining a sense of playfulness.

I do not remember where this sign was located.  In fact, I do not even remember if this is my picture or someone else's, but it has been in my files for a very long time. 

But, that's not what matters.  What matters is that you and I might discount this sign because the pun draws attention to itself.  And, yet, it makes me wonder - has it been a problem that people were parking and driving where they shouldn't at this place.  The answer?  I'm guessing people had been going where they shouldn't and someone tried to soften the message and encourage acceptance of the guideline with a little humor.

Let me put it this way.  We've been enough places with natural features that provide signs to discourage certain activities - and then witnessed people doing exactly what the sign asks them not to do.  I mean - it clearly does NOT apply to THEM.  So, watch where you're parking buddy!

Then, there is this sign.  I know this is not my photo.  But, like so many things shared on social media, tracking it back to the source is difficult (at best).  

Coyotes have a right to live and do what coyotes do - so I appreciate this sign's reminders that they can be dangerous AND that humans are dangerous to coyotes.  I think people forget that, no matter how much they think they have a connection to wild animals, frivolous and self-gratifying attempts to try to feed them or otherwise interact are only inviting trouble.  Mostly for the coyote. 

It doesn't take much for humans to go from "oh, look, a coyote, how cute!" to "that coyote took my roadrunner!" to "where did that coyote manage to get a hang glider?"

But seriously, when humans provoke reactions from wildlife (intentionally or not), the wildlife usually ends up paying in the end - even when they did not seek out the interaction in the first place.

Have a good Friday everyone - and remember, when you step off of a cliff, you'll be fine until you look down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.