Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Frosty Perspectives

Every time we get rime ice from freezing fog or hoar frost after a cold, clear night I get tempted (along with everyone else) to get the camera out and capture the "perfect image" that portrays the beauty nature provides.  It just so happens that we have had numerous opportunities this January so we can do our level best to do just that.  It's been several years since we have had this many foggy nights in a row in January, so the rime ice has been a regular occurrence.  

I will admit that the weight of dreary day after dreary day gets to me after a while, so it's a good thing that the rime ice is around to amuse me.  Unfortunately, rime ice isn't as showy when the sun never peaks through - but I still like it.

That said, I was able to take some close-up pictures that allowed me to blow up sections and crop around areas that really show off the crystalline features.  I am often amazed by the intricate designs that show themselves when you get just the right angle.

We did get one opportunity for recording the results of a hoar frost this month and I was able to get a few pictures then as well. 

I sometimes find myself taking pictures that I know I can't frame very well.  I am hopeful that I'll capture some phenomenon that I can explore later by blowing up the image and searching for something special.  It's kind of like going on a secondary treasure hunt.  The first treasure hunt was being outside looking at the beauty of nature and discovering things that might be worth exploring more.  The second treasure hunt is looking to see if I can see things I might not have had a chance to really see - for whatever reason.

That doesn't stop me from enjoying what I am seeing at the time.  And it certainly doesn't stop me from staring at the frozen memory that comes in the form of a picture I was fortunate enough to record.

I recognize that the cold weather doesn't always feel very inviting.  I often associate the cold with, simply put, more effort to do the same amount of work on the farm.  Getting water to the poultry isn't nearly as simple as it is during the warmer months. Simply getting yourself READY to go outside requires that you put on a coat and gloves, then you have to take it all off again when you come inside.

If there is snow on the ground, carrying things becomes harder, and even if there isn't snow, there might be ice.  And if there isn't ice, the ground itself has no give like it does when there is no frost in the soil.  Just walking and breathing requires just that little bit extra in the labor department. 

And, yes, I'm not always in the mood to be out in the cold.  I'll give you that as well.

And yet... how could I possibly stay inside when there is so much wonder to behold?  Look what I would be missing if I wasn't willing to walk around on a day where I see my breath in front of me and I feel my fingers sting a little as the cold tries to take a bite out of them.

It only takes a few pictures for me to extend the interest while I am inside in a warmer environment - exploring the frozen images of frozen things.  And taking a moment to share them with you.

Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.