Saturday, January 28, 2023

January Playlist


It's a Saturday.  In fact, it is the last Saturday in January of 2023 and I have yet to put together a playlist for the month, which is a bit of a shocker to me.  It has nothing to do with not listening to music.  I have actually been absolutely pleased to be hearing music on a decent sound system with good speakers. Those who know me are quite aware of exactly how much I enjoy music, so it might be a revelation to them to hear how much MORE I have enjoyed music since we finally replaced the old speakers that had not been working for many years.

So let's get to it!

The first song is by Future of Forestry (Eric Owyoung) titled Stay Right Here.  This song has a great deal to recommend it, especially if you like dynamics, songs that build up and music that uses live strings.  And, it really sounds fantastic on the new speakers.  In fact, this has been a go to song recently when I want to give myself a moment to just listen.

I thought I would stick with an instrumental as a follow up, but his one is going to start smooth and then build up a bit - featuring some excellent guitar work.  Affector's Overture, Part 2: Prologue is the second intro to a melodic metal album that features some very enjoyable instrumental prowess.

And since we were heading towards some melodic metal, how about Fire Dance by Balance of Power.  This one was actually released in the early 2000s, but it might remind one of the "big hair bands" of the 80s a bit.   

And for some reason that makes me think of Kerry Livgren (formerly of Kansas).  It turns out Kerry has released a new album, which includes a song that would be a departure from the norm for him.  Block and Tackle Blues features his voice as the lead vocal, something that hasn't happened since Seeds of Change.

Now that I've moved a completely different direction from where it might have looked like it was going, let's go to Sam Phillips and Plastic is Forever.  There are all sorts of interesting sounds and textures in this one that is fun to listen to.  And, I happen to like Sam Phillips, which makes for a winner in my book.

During our time on Kaua`i, we were exposed to much more reggae than one typically hears in Iowa.  This is not a bad thing as it never hurts to be exposed to different forms of the art of music.  Who else should I go to for reggae than Bob Marley and the Wailers?  Let's try out One Love.

A good follow up might be Ziggy Marley's Love is My Religion.  Let's get the positive juices flowing with the January playlist.  If you're feeling down after several days without sun and the cold weather, these might help warm you a bit.

There has to be some cello on this list too.  And since we saw a batch of Ring-necked Pheasant at the farm a couple of days ago, we'll go with The Pheasant by Takenobu.  

Then let's go back to some excellent guitar with Glass Harp and Weather Boy - and we'll go with the live version.  While the sound isn't the best, one can really appreciate the skill with a live set.

It wouldn't be one of my playlists if I did not, at the very least, consider a song by the Choir.  This time around I am able to share a new tune titled Centrifugal.  They have been releasing new music through their Patreon group and I am hopeful they'll take some of them and polish them up for a new album.

So... what to close this list out with our eleventh entry?

How about a 2019 remix of the Beatles and Here Comes the Sun?

Yep, that'll work.

Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.