Monday, October 23, 2023

An October Morn


One week ago Sunday, there were significant changes that were made at the Genuine Faux Farm.  The broiler chicken flock (meat chickens) were taken to "the Park," on their way to "Freezer Camp."  And, the last of our older hen flock were taken to new homes.  And with those birds went my reasons to take a walk out to the northwest part of our farm every morning.

So, what did I do multiple times last week?

I walked out to the northwest.  Part of the reason for these trips was to keep a promise I had made to myself and to Crazy Maurice, our Weeping Willow who stands watch over that part of our farm.  But, on Thursday, I just knew it was exactly the right thing to do because it just might have been the perfect October morning.

The skies were a beautiful blue.  It's the kind of blue that happens maybe a dozen times each year at the farm - and I try to take note of it whenever it happens.

The air felt soft with the tiniest bit of crispness that comes with cooler weather.  Maybe it would be more accurate to say that the air felt and smelled fresh.  But, there was enough humidity and warmth still in it to keep it all feeling relaxed.  And there was only a hint of a breeze.  Just a bit to move the air and prevent you from breathing in the same air twice - if you know what I mean?

Even the sunbeams had a quality that made them feel friendlier than usual.  And, perhaps, gently playful.  Shadows were dark enough to be interesting, but not so much that they were foreboding.  And the light warmed up the colors of the leaves, and the granary, and anything else it touched.

The grass just might have been greener than it has been for much of the year because we've gotten a little bit of rain to encourage it.  Blaise, the maple tree was at his best showing off his coat of red leaves.  And, there were a fair number of smaller migratory birds making themselves known as they flitted from Maurices branches to some of his companion trees in the area.

I ended up spending much more time out there than I initially planned.  And I didn't regret it in the least.

I hope you have opportunities to fully admire a perfect October morning.  And, if they don't come by the 31st, you can always keep your eyes open.  I've heard November can have some pretty nice moments as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.