Saturday, November 4, 2023

Experimentation


Several years ago, during a cold, winter day, I grew curious about the things I could do with some of the digital images I had at my disposal.  I had some vague idea that I might be able to actually act on some creative ideas I had to promote the Genuine Faux Farm.  But, it was probably more true that I just simply didn't want to do the tasks I knew I had to do on that particular day.

Well, I know longer know if I actually got the tasks done that I needed to do.  That is lost to my memory and is a time past and those tasks, frankly, hold little consequence for how my life has turned out up to this point.  At least, that's what I tell myself now.  Maybe I neglected something that was truly pivotal and I just didn't recognize it.  I guess I'll never know.

And I'm not going to let it bother me.


The evidence of that particular day still exists in the form of a few images that I manipulated using some of the artistic filters provided by the software I was using at the time.  I do recall that there were several other pictures that I either didn't think deserved to be saved or I have since purged them because they did little for me.  A hand-full of them remain.  And I stumbled upon them as I was looking for something else.

In both of the first two images, I suspect I was playing with features that "find the edges" in the image.  These are places where color and contrast are strongest.  The edge of a roof.  The place where the sky meets the ground.  Surfaces that are reflecting the light from a sunset.

Softer edges, like the sunbeams from that sunset against the sky, or the texture of the grasses, require a bit more imagination or inspection to see them.  They are there, but they are much more subtle.

I also tried my hand at some other artistic approaches that either blurred or suppressed fine details in an image.  

One of my favorites is still this one.  The original photo was interesting, but maybe not something I want to hang on my wall as it was.  Why?  Well, the plant material was mostly burr dock and maybe some other weedy things I am not always super fond of seeing highlighted in a Genuine Faux Farm photo.  Their presence is often a reminder of farm "imperfections" I'd rather not think about while I am enjoying an image.

Now, the picture focuses on the impression of shapes.  It doesn't matter that much what sort of plants were the basis for the design.  I can just appreciate the colors, the shades and the composition of what is in front of me.

I certainly will not profess to be an expert or even proficient in this sort of - may I call it art?

I don't know enough about it to know if any of it is "good" when compared to what a professional or expert could do.  I have no idea if anyone else might enjoy any one of these.  I don't even possess the correct language to even begin to discuss relative merits or ... lack thereof.  

And yet, I actually enjoyed coming across them and viewing them once again.  So, I will call it "art" for art's sake.  I still recall feeling enjoyment during the process of creation and there is at least a little bit of pleasure in seeing them once again.  Whether they are "good" or not doesn't matter.  What matters is that I participated in the process of creation.

And that's your Saturday Genuine Faux Farm blog thoughts for a Saturday!  Have a good remainder of your day and thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.