Tuesday, August 29, 2017

It's the Little Things

I do not profess to be much of a photographer, but I do meander around the farm every so often and capture things that catch my interest.  It's a way of reminding myself of little things that renew my spirit and interest in living life as best as I can.

Even though some of the pictures aren't fabulous works of art, I still like to grab batches of them and write what comes to mind that might be worthy of sharing from the context of our farm.  Enjoy!

Droplets on Brassicae
Anyone who has grown broccoli, kale, cauliflower and other related vegetables knows how water tends to bead on these plants.  In the right light, it can almost look like a drop of liquid mercury.  It's a neat little mechanism for a plant to collect water and funnel down to their root system.
Even though I am not always carrying a camera with me, I take pictures with my mind every time I see these water droplets.  I am not sure what it reminds me of or why it makes me happy to see it.  And, I suppose that's not what matters.

Now That's A Right Proper Tomato for a BLT
Most Italian Heirloom tomatoes land at just under a pound in weight and often cover all or most of the bread when you slice the tomato.  Sometimes, they do even better than that.
Like - maybe they dwarf the rest of the sandwich?
Oh, but the sandwich ended up being soooo good!  And, yes, I did put more lettuce on it.

Surprise!
Surprise Lilies (aka Naked Lilies) are a nice early August bloomer.  These plants will send up their leaves early in the season only to die back by mid July.  When August comes, they send up a flower stem over a period of about a week.
It's rewarding to have clusters of them here and there at the farm.

Lengths of Sturdy Pipe and Cinder Blocks
Two things that don't seem like much, but are incredibly useful at the farm.  What little things do you take for granted and don't really look like much?
If we didn't have this cinder block we'd have to come up with another way to keep this door from blowing shut in the wind.  It has also been used to hold some things down during a wind storm and it was an impromptu ladder to give one of the farmers an extra inch or two of reach.  And, I remember my grandparents growing flowers in them as well.  What's not to like?

Time for Timer
Simple technology, big help!  We've forgotten to turn off the irrigation enough times.  It's really nice when there is an easy solution.

Where Did You Come From?
Then there are the flowers (Turtles Head) that we didn't remember were in the wildflower area.    What a nice surprise that one was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.