Saturday, August 13, 2022

Signs of the Times?

Sometimes, you just can't ignore those signs that carry an important message while maintaining a sense of playfulness.

I do not remember where this sign was located.  I think we saw this somewhere in Wisconsin many years ago, but I just can't be sure anymore.

But, that's not what matters.  What matters is that you and I will not discount this sign because the pun draws attention to itself and helps make the point.  And, yet, it makes me wonder - has it really been a problem that people were parking and driving where they shouldn't at this place?  It seems self-evident to me that this area is not a good area to park.  But, I'm guessing people had been going where they shouldn't and someone tried to soften the message and encourage acceptance of the guideline with a little humor.

 

Let me put it this way.  We've been enough places with natural features that provide signs to discourage certain activities - and then witnessed people doing exactly what the sign asks them not to do.  I mean - it clearly does NOT apply to THEM.  

For example, here is another sign we saw some years ago.  Why is a sign actually necessary here?  If you park there, I suspect your vehicle will get very wet (and might go floating down the river).  Yet, here is a sign telling us NOT to park beyond this point - probably because SOMEONE has tried it!  

But does this sign work as well as the first sign?  I don't know for certain - maybe they will listen if they are threatened to be TOAD!

So, watch where you're parking buddy!

Then, there is this sign.  I know this is not my photo.  But, like so many things shared on social media, tracking it back to the source is difficult (at best).  

Coyotes have a right to live and do what coyotes do - so I appreciate this sign's reminders that coyotes can be dangerous for humans AND that humans are dangerous to coyotes.  I think people forget that, no matter how much they think they have a connection to wild animals, frivolous and self-gratifying attempts to try to feed them or otherwise interact are only inviting trouble.  Mostly for the coyote. 

It doesn't take much for humans to go from "oh, look, a coyote, how cute!" to "that coyote took my roadrunner!" to "where did that coyote manage to get a hang glider?"

But seriously, when humans provoke reactions from wildlife (intentionally or not), the wildlife usually ends up paying in the end - even when they did not seek out the interaction in the first place.

Have a good Friday everyone - and remember, when you step off of a cliff, you'll be fine until you look down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.