Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Natural Texture

I like to remind myself to look at things from different angles and with different purposes.  That's true if I am considering solutions for a problem on the farm and it is true if it has to do with an issue I deal with for my job with Pesticide Action Network.  I believe that I need to exercise my ability to consider alternative viewpoints and creative options continually so that when I need that ability most, it is well practiced.

I also encourage myself to look at things in different ways when I am out in the natural world.  I think it is important to explore the world even when you are standing still.  Look up.  Look down.  Look to your left and right.  Kneel in the grass to see things from a different height.  Turn slowly in place.  Look at things that are far away and things that are close to you.  See things that are small and things that are big.

And always look for the texture of the world that surrounds you.


It is possible that some folks might find me to be a little annoying at times if everyone else wants to get from here to there.  Suddenly, I'm not there and they look back to find me squatting down to look at a beetle... or a puddle.

Actually, I don't really cause that sort of problem because when I am walking with others and there is a purpose, I do my best to be a good member of the group.  And, you all probably would guess (and be accurate) that I don't like to be a problem to others.  So, I do a good job of suppressing my curiosity when I need to.

On the other hand, Tammy might sometimes want to roll her eyes when we're taking a hike and I get into meandering mode. 

Still, look at all of the cool things I got to observe and enjoy by looking around me and showing a little curiosity.

How and why does a leaf change color from green to red?  Does it just start to blush until all of the green disappears?  Or does it get kind of blotchy like this Pin Oak leaf?  I am guessing the answer is "it depends."

However, I did take the time to refresh my learning on Fall leaf colors.  Apparently, there are three types of pigments involved: carotenoids (yellow, orange and brown), anthocyanin (reds and purples) and chlorophyll (greens).

I suspect most of us remember chlorophyll and that it has a role in photosynthesis. In the autumn, chlorophyll production slows down - eventually stopping.  As the chlorophyll is removed from the leaf, the other pigments remain.  The green is removed, unmasking the other colors.

Can a small frond of moss dangling into a stream cause ripples?  Why yes, yes it can!  And the patterns in the water, what do they look like?  Well, you and I have some idea now because the first picture in the blog shows us.

How quickly can the sky change from fully overcast to partly sunny?  Well, it didn't take long on this particular day.  But, it was the process of clearing that provided a textured backdrop in the sky for the trees.

The forest floor is a treasure trove of textures.  The fallen leaves on the path were more broken than those found nearby - where people weren't grinding them into smaller pieces as they walked through.  And the exposed tree roots on the path showed smooth surfaces where hundreds of feet drug their soles over its surface.

The water plants create a completely different texture.  This looks likes a big batch of Coontail (assuming I identified this water plant correctly) at the Richmond Springs source in Backbone State Park.  The surface of the water showed barely a ripple, yet the plants showed the evidence of a prevailing current.  The plants themselves looked soft while they were in the water - but I wasn't feeling much like observing while I, myself, was also in the water.


Of course, the trees provide us with plenty of texture, with all sorts of different types of bark.  But, every once in a while you can get surprised.  Like this particular moment when I found that I could look through the trunk of a very tall tree.

Apparently, this tree had been struck by lightning years ago the tree was hollow, with a large hole on the other side.  The tree continues to touch the sky with green branches, so it is clearly a survivor - adding to the texture of the surrounding forest with its experience and its imperfection.

And, like any other living forest, there were trees that were no longer living. But they also provided opportunities for different kinds of life - and different sorts of textures.


 So, I present this challenge to all who read this and are able to get themselves outside.  Take a look around and discover something interesting and new for yourself.  If you like to take pictures with a smartphone or a camera, do so.  

Find a wildflower or a flower you planted.  Find the bark of a tree, or some changing leaves.  Look up and view some interesting clouds or the stars.  Watch an insect crawl up and down a blade of grass.

And while you do these things, ask yourself at least one question that you will try to answer.

What is this water plant called?  What makes a leaf change color?  What sort of fungus is this?  Does this type of dragonfly EVER land?

Look at the natural textures of this world and then give yourself permission to learn something about them.  You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.