Monday, February 20, 2023

Rustic or a Dump - at least it's Authentic

I remember the day I overheard someone at a field day (not ours, though it could have been) say something along the lines of "why can't they keep their farm neater than this? It looks like a dump!"

To be honest, I had to admit that the particular area on this farm that was being commented on DID look a bit like a dump.  But, I also had been fairly impressed with the farm, with the farmers, and with the operation in general.  It was a bit distressing to think that this might be the takeaway this person would go home with.  It also got me to thinking about our own farm.

I mean, it looks like a dump too.  Except for where it doesn't look like a dump.


The stack of pallets leaning against a wall isn't actually awful to look at.  They have future purposes and they are neatly out of the way in their designated spot.  But, I suppose they aren't all that attractive either.  Let's just say they won't win us any "Better Homes and Gardens" awards or the praise of whomever wants to judge a working farm by what they consider to be positive eye appeal.

We have not yet used any of our valuable time to deconstruct or re-use the flair box that went on a running gear that we are using for something else now.  We also parked an old hayrack with its rotting wood and frozen steering mechanism nearby.  And, of course, we didn't take the time last fall to clean up the tall grasses and other plants that grew around them.  I guess I would admit, if pressed, that this might look "dumpy."


There is a bin just outside the Poultry Pavilion that has a pile of red and green hoses - all tangled up.  It's hardly the most attractive decorating touch a person could use, I suppose.  But, it is a good way to put hose segments that are no longer appropriate for delivering water.  Yet a hose segment or two can be useful for any number of things.  For example, staking up a tree - or putting a cover on the sharp edge of a raised bed wall.

Even so, I might admit that we've accumulated more of the raw material in this spot than we really need.

But what about this mess, Rob?  Let's see you explain it away like the others!  If this doesn't confirm that you don't care what your farm looks like, I don't know what does.

Well, you got me.  A pile of wood.  A pile of potentially useful wood.  But, still, an ugly pile of wood.  

I suppose you could argue that the wheeled contraption on the pile and the kitty litter buckets don't help with the ambiance.  

Well, the grass catcher is where it is because we needed to move it so we could fill in the pit that was in front of this part of the Poultry Pavilion.  The kitty litter buckets were in use to carry water as recently as this past Spring, when their handles broke.  Rather than throw them in the trash, I'd like to rinse them out and recycle them.  But, you got me, I didn't get that task done and there they are still.  

I am so very ashamed....  Alas for me!

I will readily agree that there is a point where the normal detritus and mess that comes with any operation like ours crosses the line and becomes a "dump." And it is one of our goals to avoid crossing that line.  In fact, there are many things we would love to find the time and energy to clean up a bit - and numerous other things are "in progress" and there just isn't enough of us to move to "complete" this very moment.

Part of the problem is that not everyone can tell the difference between useful items that are there for a reason and an honest to goodness mess.  You can probably guess that the rolled up hose in a cart with a couple of feeder covers is probably there for a reason (stored for the Winter).  But, they also probably don't look all that attractive either.   There's a pile of metal that is waiting for the next metal drive - and that's not something you walk someone by when you want them to think your place is beautiful either.

I will also hazard a guess that chicken transport crates are not likely to be most people's choice of decorative items either.

Oh, wait!  I was wrong.  Here is an ebay lot where you can buy an old, slightly broken down chicken crate for $245.  Or maybe you want them from this company for $150 each?  You can polish it up and make a coffee table out of it and sell it for $750.

Just use the words "rustic," "antique," or "primitive."

I guess I should NOT have burned that old wooden crate that could no longer be repaired to be useful.  Do you think if I left a little chicken poop on it it would have gone for more?  

Available, one primitive design, vintage antique with authentic farm ambiance (also known as chicken manure).... this can be yours for just $800.

I wonder how much I can sell the plastic crates for?  If I use the right words, do you think I can at least get three digits for each one?  

And now that I realize there are people out there who buy old chicken crates for hundreds of dollars I find myself worrying less about what others think regarding the aesthetics of our farm.  After all, it is "authentic" and it is "rustic" so it must be good.

And, really, the overall impression isn't half-bad even if chicken crates aren't your style.

Have a good day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.