Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Reaching the Potential of Early Spring


I took a quick walk around the farm yesterday with the knowledge that I could not spend much more time than that outside.  Such is my life now that I work full-time for Pesticide Action Network.  I have to ration my farm time and actively seek a balance between both jobs.  I tell myself that it is still early and that there are many things that have to wait a while yet.  But, I know the truth.

This period of time before things start greening up and growing is one of the best times to clean things up and get the preparations done that will make the growing season that much easier.  Now is the time to rediscover fence posts that were left where they shouldn't be and to free up things that I allowed weeds to grow around last fall that I need to have access to soon.  There is this beautiful window of time where it is warm enough to do the work without being bundled up to the point where you have to turn your whole body to see to your left or right.  

It's even better because this hasn't been a super wet early Spring either.  It's dry enough that I can actually get everywhere I need to go without having to acquaint everything from my knees down to mud once again.

The trick, of course, is actually motivating myself to get out there and do the things that I need to do.  It's the same trick that I need to use to get my farm office work done - which is the same trick I need to use to keep getting my PAN work done.  

Now, if I could remember what that trick was, I'd be in good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.