Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Flurry, Snow Squall, or Just Annoying


It was the end of the day on Friday and everyone in the Genuine Faux Farm household was feeling tired.  And, by everyone, I mean Rob and Tammy.  Bree was simply happy that the humans were sitting still so that she could perch herself on a human's lap.  We were indulging in watching a video after eating dinner and I found that I was a bit trapped with Tammy laying down and putting feet in my lap and Bree sitting on Tammy's feet.

I happened to look out the window and I saw this squall line to our west.  We have certainly seen these before in prior years, so it wasn't entirely new.  But, they can be pretty dramatic - especially if the sun is pretty low in the western sky and it gets blocked by the rapidly moving flurry of snow.  It looks pretty surreal when sunbeams peak through a few cracks in the wall of clouds and snow.

But, I was stuck, so there wasn't going to be a chance to take a picture.  And that's fine.

Once the clouds got to us there was a few solid minutes of horizontal snow that rapidly covered surfaces and made little "ticking" sounds as individual flakes hit the window pane.  Once the show was over and Bree and Tammy were willing to move, I got up and recorded a picture or two.

I think many (but not all) who live in Iowa might agree that snow is actually welcome to cover some of the bleak winter landscape.  But, in my mind, it is a whole different matter when the grass has greened up as much as ours has over the last couple of weeks.  The contrast was actually quite beautiful to see between the rich green color and the fresh white snowfall.

But, I am not sure the snow, despite the fact that it would melt quickly, was really all that welcome this time around.  Most of the time, I find that I am pretty philosophical about snowfall in April.  It happens and you need to expect it to happen.  But for some reason I have been annoyed by the recent cool weather and snow.

Thinking about it, I have been annoyed when we've had nice weather days lately too because I haven't been able to get out and enjoy them.  Maybe it's not the weather, it's just me.

I'm even tempered - always annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.