Friday, February 18, 2022

Wake Up Call

The good news?  Covid cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are on the decline in the US.  This should not be much of a surprise if you pay any attention to the cycles of this world - including the big cycle perpetuated by the trip the Earth takes around the Sun each and every year.

But, it's not just that cycle that plays a role.  It's also the cycles that surround the patterns we, as people, follow with respect to holidays, school years, time outside, travel.... the whole shooting match.  I, for example, have been been sick more often in January and February than any other month of the year during my lifetime.  This is partly because - I am no one special when it comes to infectious diseases.  The more time I spend indoors and the more exposure I have to people who are infected, the more likely it is that I'll have to fight something off. 

It's just the way viruses are.  They're out there and they're looking for a host.  If you give them the opportunity, they'll try and take it - fairly simple.

Also fairly simple - catching a virus that will make you ill has little benefit for you or those around you.  So, if there are simple steps you can take to stay healthy, why not take them?  One common sense approach is to simply limit your exposure.

That said - I walked into a convenience store recently, wearing a mask and intent on getting what I needed and then getting out efficiently - because I know of several people who are fighting covid infections right now and others who are dealing with other viral issues.  No big deal.  Not making a statement, just taking a couple of precautions to limit my exposure (and anyone else's exposure if I am carrying something) because - well, again - why not?

A person I did not know looked at me, sneered and said, "Oh, I see you're STILL running scared, eh?"

This time, I did not ignore that statement.  I stopped and asked, "Do you still have two kidneys?"

"What?"

"Do you still have two kidneys?"

"Um, yeah, why?"

"Well, I don't.  I had one taken out due to cancer.  Maybe I have a reason to be a little more cautious than a lucky person like yourself."

And I walked away.

This person was still in the area when I checked out moments later and they would not look at me as I walked out the door.  I can only hope that the message was received.

Now - I can tell you.  I am not necessarily any more worried about catching Covid or any other viral infection than I might have been before with two healthy kidneys.  I don't WANT to catch any of it - why would I?  I mean, who WANTS to feel like crap while their body fights to clear it all out?  But, this person needed a wake up call and I was in a unique position to be able to give it.

You do not know what another person is going through.  You do not know all the reasons why they might decide to wear a mask or maintain their distance from you.  You cannot judge for them whether it is fear or just common sense that makes them take precautions.  And it is not for you to determine whether their fear or concern is valid or not.

Perhaps that person wears a mask because they have an immune disorder that is not readily apparent to the rest of us.  Or maybe, they were feeling a little under the weather and were just thinking about a person who might have an immune disorder and they wanted to reduce the possibility of passing something on.  And perhaps, they wore a mask because they want to let another person know, who really NEEDS to wear a mask, that they are not alone.


I now know of four people who have died from Covid-19.  I know of two others who have died, who are related to people I have acquaintance with.  I am aware of at least two people who acknowledge dealing with long-Covid symptoms.  

I am a bit of an exception because I seem to be aware of more people who have dealt with the extremes of this illness than most.

You see, I understand why some people don't see this as being as serious as it has been.  The US population is about 330 million people, and we have had about 78 million reported Covid cases since the pandemic started, about 24 percent of the population.  Of those, there have been about 850,000 deaths due to the virus (about 1% of reported cases ended in death).  So, about one quarter of a percent of the US population has died with this as the primary cause of death since Spring of 2020.

To put that into perspective.  If you know of and pay enough attention to 1000 people in your world, you probably know of two people who have died from this virus.

According to some research, the average citizen of the US "knows" 600 people.  By the same token, it is estimated that most people only have between 10 and 25 persons they know and trust.  So, I think it is safe to say that the number of people we "actively" track is probably between these two ranges.  And, if the distribution is the same for everyone, you probably need to know and somewhat track 500 people to personally know one that has died from the virus.

With that in mind, we should not be surprised that some people do not see the virus as the same threat as other people do.  If you are among those who are not aware of someone who has been gravely affected by Covid, it may seem to you like the whole thing is a ... well... a hoax.  After all, if we don't see it directly impacting ourselves - it isn't as real to us as it should be.

Until someone reminds you that perhaps - just maybe - the person wearing a mask as he enters a convenience store may have a bit more risk for complications than you do.

Again - I am happy for you if you are perfectly healthy and have no cause to take extra precaution.  Good for you.  But maybe you can extend the goodwill that must surely come from knowing you are robustly healthy and accept the next person may not be so lucky.  And maybe, you can consider their needs once in a while.

Time to wake up.

4 comments:

  1. Thoughtfully done, as usual, Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the kidney question was going to be followed by "You only need 1, so why are you keeping the second instead of donating? Are you scared of just having 1 in case something happens to it?" We make a lot of decisions based on caution (like selfishly keeping 2 kidneys if we have an option to). I don't know statistics, but my guess is that my chance of a healthy kidney failing is less than my chance of dying of COVID or killing a family member by sharing the virus with them. Wearing a mask costs me very little. There is no doubt for me that it is worth it for the possible gains for myself and others (both strangers and those I care about personally).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect. Thank you, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A teacher still, you are.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.