Friday, February 25, 2022

Change of Pace

Welcome to Friday.  And, since it is Friday, we'll do something a little different.

I wonder if other people are noticing some of the same things I've been noticing about myself over the past couple of years.  So, in order to find out - I kind of have to share some of the things I've been noticing...

So, do any of these things sound familiar to you?  And if so, how do you address these things - or do you think they need to be addressed?

1. I'm avoiding "tension" in the fiction books I read

Ok.  Let me be clear here.  I do like to read, but I haven't been reading as much as I used to.  And when I do read, I tend to favor books I have already read.

This is the part where you ask the question "Why?" 

Wee pause for a second....so you can ask "Why?"

Well, I'm glad you asked.  Anyway, I assume you asked "why" because... well, how can you ignore a request given as a caption to a cute baby picture of the Sandman?

Anyway, most excellent fiction thrives by putting the characters through moments of tension and trial.  Authors often take the story to bleak and difficult places and the story (especially if you like the fantasy genre) often explores the limits of how bad things can get, while still allowing some of the characters to survive so you can continue until the end when - hopefully - there is redemption and renewal.

Over the past five or six years, I have found that I no longer have the capacity to handle the stress, even though I know it is fictional.  In short, I am finding too many parallels to the world I live in.  So, I end up reading a book I have already read, because there is no longer uncertainty in my mind as to how things will end.  I can read through the low spots knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

It's gotten to the point that I have started some books and have been enjoying them immensely - and I put them down when the going gets rough.  And I haven't found the energy to pick them back up again.

Yeah.  I suppose I could read the last chapter to come to some sort of assurance that I can find some resolution, but I don't even do that.   

How about you?  Have you noticed this about yourself lately?  Or is it just me?

2. I'm forgetting how face to face interactions are supposed to work

Yes.  I am exaggerating just a bit.  But, I have noticed that there is a stronger sense of unease - even with people I know well.

Now - full disclosure.  As a quiet person who tends to be more introverted than most, I have always maintained a bit more personal space and I do tend to listen more than I talk - unless it is my JOB to speak.  So, in many ways, my personality type is better suited to some of the isolation we've all had to deal with for a couple of years now.

But now, I find myself taking time to process even things that used to be automatic, like accepting a handshake.  I will say that it can get pretty awkward when two people have their hands extended half-way to each other and each person has a far-away look in their eyes that tells you that they are wondering, "Is it a good idea to shake hands with this person?  What if they aren't ready to do that?"

And then there is the moment when both parties realize they've been standing there in complete and utter indecision.  Now they have to deal with the awkward moment of trying to figure out how to navigate ALMOST shaking hands.

And, I am noticing people (including myself) are having a harder time figuring out how much eye contact is appropriate.

On the other hand, I have noticed that people are more willing to share "bigger and more important" things earlier in a conversation now - there is less preamble with small-talk, which suits me just fine.  But, I sense unease in others who do prefer more of a lead up to things.

Departures have gotten even less easy.  Even people who are usually pretty good at defining ends to conversations and saying "good-byes" are struggling with the issue of how to come to the conclusion of a discussion.

I am sure we all know some of the reasons for this.  If you are like me, you've been in more video conference calls than you ever thought you would be in EVER.  And, if you are like me, it's actually a fairly big part of your employment.  There is no way you can be involved in that much "virtual" social interaction without it impacting how you see ALL types of social interaction.

How about you?  Are you noticing this too?

Well, thanks for dropping by and reading this blog post.

It was nice "seeing" you here.

I hope you have a good day.

Well, bye... I guess.

Take care.

Um....yeah.

2 comments:

  1. Not so with books. I have just been avoiding reading if I am not sure of the author and how books by that author end. In stead, I work on handicraft projects where I have control of all aspects.

    It is so good to actually be seeing people face to face that I tend to continue the conversation. So maybe I, too, have been unsure how to end a conversation. I see the same people, so we know what the other expects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you've found a way to change up what you do. I suppose some people might find handicraft projects stressful too - it all depends on your temperament. But, it is good if they keep you move and provide you with what you need.

      Delete

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.