Saturday, November 27, 2021

If It Were Easy

One of the things we try to do every year on the blog is author a Thanksgiving post.  But, what do you do when inspiration isn't there?  What happens when something you usually enjoy feels more like an obligation or a duty than anything else?  How do you get motivated to accomplish something?  What if you aren't feeling particularly grateful at the moment and you're feeling guilty about not having all of the 'warm fuzzies' you should have for all of the truly good things in your life?

These are questions I asked in 2017.  They weren't new questions to me and they still come up now and again.  But, the words I wrote in response to the questions that year caused me to think about them again and encouraged me to take another crack at it in 2021 - which must be a special year because I put forth three consecutive posts on giving thanks.

This has been our favorite holiday for a very long time.  But, there are some realities that come with farming and working in academia.  The farm doesn't just stop because we want a break - someone has to feed the hens, collect the eggs and just... do all the things.  Classes at the college are are moving relentlessly towards the completion of big projects and final exams.  Those who teach desperately try to balance preparation, grading, committees, and advising with all of the special holiday stuff that starts eating up people's time at school.

Simply put, it can be hard to slow down enough for breath - much less to give a real and honest effort at giving thanks for good things in our lives.

Hobnob and Bree are NOT looking too pleased in this picture....

In 2016, I titled our blog post Trials, Tribulations and Thanks.  Of course, there is the element of fun because I could use alliteration in the title.  But, on re-reading the post, I realized that I was struggling with these thoughts.  My approach in 2016 was to go back to the people who mean so much to us for inspiration.  People who support the farm.  People who help when help was needed.  People who remain friends, no matter what.  A family that continues to love us.  Again, no matter what.

"We cannot repay, we can only give thanks"

But, there is still no denying that I was struggling a bit trying to get where I wanted to go.  Yet, I managed to get there by considering the wonderful people in our lives.  But, that begs the question - how will we (you and I) get there THIS year?

Giving thanks is not always easy.  In fact, being truly grateful can be extremely difficult.  However, if I can manage to find gratitude, it has the power to lift me when I am down.

If gratitude were easy, it would not be nearly so wonderful and fulfilling as it is when we work to give meaningful thanks.

Here we are.  Waiting for the warm glow of Thanksgiving to just pop up and make us feel good.  Hoping for the cheap happy ending that magically appears, despite all logic.   We waste our time when we could actually achieve what we want with just a little bit of effort.

Is it possible that a significant part of the beauty is in the struggle?  Perhaps the rewards are proportional to the effort?

I guess I've come to the conclusion that - for once - I might actually be right in this.  Real gratitude and thanksgiving do not come easily.  If you want to genuinely give thanks, it requires honest effort and some real focus on what you are doing.

I believe there is less value in easy.  I also believe I wouldn't write a Thanksgiving post every year if it were as easy as just listing a bunch of things and saying I am thankful for them.

If it were easy, I wouldn't do this.

Gratitude is something you need to work for.  But, once you put forth the effort, the rewards are significant.  Give thanks today.  Give thanks tomorrow.  Give thanks every day you are able.  And, when a day comes where giving thanks is difficult, let those things of value and worth that have led you to be grateful sustain you until you are able emphasize the positive once again.

Once again - Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.