Saturday, November 19, 2022

Music for the Long Nights


It is time for a November music play list.  At least that's what I tell myself.  And since I'm the person that actually has to write the blog post if there is going to be one, that's probably all that matters.

Mid-November is the time that I realize that we are about as far from the bloom time of iris as we are at any point during the year.  The night hours in Iowa far exceed the daylight hours and reduction in sunlight can play havoc with how I feel about myself and the world around me.

Thankfully, I have pictures of beautiful flowers and there is music to listen to.  Here's a batch of tunes I'm currently paying some attention to.  Maybe you will also like one or two of them.  I hope so, because sharing things we enjoy is another way we can combat the potential onset of "winter blues."

Let's start with some banjo in a tune that honestly DOES sound like warmer (and longer) sunlit days.

The Sound of Summer Running - Alison Brown  

I've always appreciated the lyrics of the next tune.  In particular this little bit:

I never saw my shadow 'till I saw the light
And now I need more light to drown it out
I cannot bear that this should continue
Nor can I bear that it should stop

Drop - Massivivid

Then we'll move on to a couple of tunes that celebrates persistence.

I'm Down - the Almost

Hard Love - NeedtoBreathe

Then maybe we'll go outside for a bit, but you need to remember to...

Grab Your Coat - Fair

Then we can enjoy a tune that starts with some snow.  But, 

"It's only a season, it's only a run.  Only love, only friendship will last."
Seasons - Future of Forestry

Maybe we'll take a moment and play a couple of tunes that remind us of summer music festivals.  In fact, parts of this video was probably taken at a festival we attended.  A heavy thunderstorm made the fields muddy and I remember people diving in the mud and smearing it in their hair.  Did they get that idea from that event?  I'll probably never know. 

Like I Was - Prayer Chain

And we remember this group playing late into the night - using their songs to start extended jams.

Let It Slide - Vector

The nights might be long, but there is always hope for brighter days.

Dark Night - Undercover

Whisper - Evanescence

And we'll close it out with a little Maria McKee.   And, I'll have you know that this list went to eleven.  Just as every list on this blog should.

Soap, Soup and Salvation - Lone Justice

I hope you found a tune or two you like.  And, if you didn't, you can always hope I'll do better for you next month.  Until then, find a tune you love and give it a listen.  If that tune is the wind in the trees or the sound of waves, I hope you give yourself permission and opportunity to enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.