Monday, November 28, 2022

Speakers in the House


It is no secret to anyone that knows me or who has read the blog consistently that I like listening to music - perhaps as much or more than I like to look at beautiful landscapes.  And that, my friends, is saying a lot.  

Well, for the first time in many years - nearly as long as we have been farming at the Genuine Faux Farm - we have working speakers for our stereo system.  

Of course, that does not mean that we have had no music at the farm.  That would be very far from the truth.  We have had smaller speakers for iPods and the typical speakers for a computer.  We have some portable music players so we can hear music outside while we're working and there are the noise canceling headphones so I can still hear some music while I am working with equipment.  In other words, I have nothing to complain about in that regard.  We have always made sure there is access to music if it is wanted.  That's a good thing because I really do find comfort as well as motivation in the music I listen to.

So, why in the world would I be excited to put new speakers on a stereo that will not easily support all of the digital players the world has moved to?  

It's just this.  I have sorely missed giving myself opportunities to really listen -  and I mean REALLY listen - to music.  Once we hooked the new speakers up, I was reminded of things I had almost forgotten.  Things like the sound of a bow being drawn across the strings of a cello, violin, viola or string bass.  Things like the depth of a deep bass drum or timpani.  Things like the beginnings and endings of words in the lyrics as they are vocalized.

You see, we never did get rid of the cd collection we had amassed over the years - and there is a fair amount of vinyl to explore too.  Sure, I've converted most of these to digital files over time.  So I have not been without most of them.  The point is I can re-explore so much music.  And I am hearing the depths of the musical fills many of my favorite artists employ.  I have missed really hearing the stereo mixes where it sounds like you have a guitar on one side and a bass player on the other.  And, I have to admit that I still have an appreciation for synthesized parts that move from one speaker to the other.

I think you'll have to excuse me, I hear some Goat Rodeo playing now.  I think I'll take a moment to just listen.

Have a good day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.