Monday, July 24, 2023

Texture

Maybe some of you are like me when it comes to watching water and clouds, leaves in a breeze and a flock of birds wheeling in the sky.  I find myself watching intently.  So intently that I periodically recognize with a start that I need to remember to breathe.  Except, I've been breathing just fine the whole time.

Over the past few weeks, I've been trying to catch some of the textures that the motion creates with the camera.  It's yet another thing I am allowed to do because it is a digital camera.  As odd as it might sound, I am still trying to shake off the limits I placed on myself during the time when you had to load film into the camera and you had a limited number of shots (unless you had lots of resources to develop all of the photos).


Happily, there is no requirement that I succeed with these pictures.  There is no requirement at all.  If I capture some texture that I appreciate - or that someone else appreciates - good enough.  If I don't?  That's ok too.

Sometimes I find myself using the camera lens to block off the noise that comes with what can be seen on the periphery so I can concentrate on something in particular.  I used to do this without a camera, sometimes putting my hands around my eyes to block out the distractions.  

Ah... who am I kidding?  I still do that sometimes.


I was attracted to the opportunity to take pictures of the swallow flock for the picture above as much for the color and texture of the clouds and sky behind them.  I had the option of watching the birds swooping and diving or I could focus on the skies as they darkened and lightened, depending on where the sun was in relation to the cloud openings.


I've always loved the "helicopter seeds" that some trees produce.  But, I have to admit that I rarely pay them much mind at any point other than when they have reached maturity and they come spinning down from the trees.

This was an exception to that rule because the nice rosy color provided a contrast to the leaves.   I think the picture above is a Sycamore, but maybe someone who is better with tree identification can confirm or point me to a better id.  


And for some reason, I haven't really paid much attention to lily pads in the past.  And yet, I find the patterns they make fascinating.   It's a bonus when there are some blooms in the midst of the leaves, but it's not a requirement.  Sometimes, when the water is still and clear, it can seem like they are floating on thin air.

Perhaps, by sharing them here, you can at least get a glimpse of what will sometimes get me to hold still - and breathe without knowing my lungs are working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.