Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March 30 Walkabout

We hadn't seen the sun at the farm for several days in a row.  The grey skies were starting to feel heavier than they had a right to be.  Perhaps it had something to do with the added worry that comes with a pandemic and all of the adjustments and the issues that arise because of those adjustments?  Then, March 30th comes along and gives us a glorious day.  The pandemic was still here and frankly, it was still terrifying.  The adjustments and the issues that come with them were still here as well.  But, somehow, the sunshine and blue skies helped us feel that there is a way forward.

 I took a walkabout on the farm with camera in hand during the morning hours.  I am not much of a photographer - more of a point, shoot and hope to get lucky hobbyist - but I do know good lighting when I see it.  So, I tried a few things for fun and I took other shots to just record the state of our farm at this time.
 
 Our seemingly perpetual puddles were calm and there was no wind.  I just happened to look and see that one puddle was showing a reflection of the granary that has our logo painted on the side.  I thought it might be neat to capture it, so I did. 
 The old barn has a melancholy attractiveness to it right now as it continues the process of coming down on its own.  Hopefully, we can begin working to salvage what is left this Fall and early winter. 

 Part of me wishes we could salvage at least part of the building, but the logistics and costs are probably more than we can bear.  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  In the meantime, we'll see if we can get some interesting pictures out of it.
 It is the time of year when I start looking at the soil more critically to determine when I might be able to do some work in the fields.  This is particularly important this year because I hope to create swales (ditches) and raised areas using the soil removed from the swales so I can deal with the higher moisture levels we have been seeing.  I think the soil might still be a bit saturated - what do you think?
And, the sky was really blue.  No filters on the camera.  Just blue.

I did make sure to appreciate it.  I hope you did to.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog posts, Rob—so beautifully written and illustrated, as this one was. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and please keep them coming!
    —Mi Ae (author of Bounty from the Box: The CSA Farm Cookbook)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mi Ae,
    Thank you for the kind comments. We'll do our best to balance this with the farm and the new job working for Pesticide Action Network.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.