Monday, January 24, 2022

The Absurdity? of Writing Every Day

There are things that we do every day because we have to.

There are things that we do every day because we need to.

There are things that we do every day because we... just do them.

There are things we TRY to do every day because we should do them.

But, are there really things that we do every day because we want to... every day?

The moon rises regularly in the East - even though it doesn't appear over the horizon at the same time every day.  In fact, the moon has been known to hide itself from our view, even though we know it is there.  I, on the other hand, do not look at the moon every day it is visible.  But, I still take delight in viewing it each time I am able to do so.  I also make a regular, if not daily, effort to put myself in the position that I COULD view the moon if I so desired.

Would I still like viewing the moon as much if I made myself take a look at it every day it deigned to show itself?  Would it be absurd to make it goal to look to the heavens daily, in the hopes that the moon would show its lovely face?  Or would the simple fact that I was now trying to put value on the ability to "check something off the list" take away the pleasure I get when I do see it?

This is the fine line that we all walk with all of the things we choose to make into habits in our lives.

I suppose you can argue that some habits are necessary and this discussion does not apply.  But, what about things like... playing a board game with your best friend every day?  Walking outside every day? 

Or maybe, writing a blog every day of the year?

There are plenty of good reasons to put goals like these in front of ourselves - and there are just as many to take a shot at actually reaching them.  By writing regular blogs, I exercise my writing and communication skills - both things I actually need to hone for my professional occupation.  The act of writing also helps me order my thoughts and reflect on everything around me.  For me, writing is a bit like going out to view the moon as it finally appears over the tree line that lies a half-mile to our East.  There are definite positives - including a very real opportunity to communicate frequently with many people I care about.

But, it is important that I never let the act of consistency become more important than the benefits I get from consistent actions.

Certainly, there are times I do not want to write a blog.  And, it is ok for me to use the excuse that I want to be consistent in my participation for motivation.  But, when the day comes that another blog entry is simply a checkmark on the to-do list - that will be a day that there will be no writing.  And it will stay that way until I see once more how lovely the moon is - and I find myself wanting to write about it.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog, but only if it is still something you really want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoy it. And yes, I will write as long as I feel it is a positive part of my life. If it becomes the wrong kind of burden, I will change. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.