Saturday, March 26, 2022

Eighties

 

It's cool to be ten years old (I should know, I've been ten for some time now).  And, when you're ten, you can explore all kinds of music.  Ok.  You can explore all kinds of music too.  And, so can you.  And you.  Yes, calm down.  Anyone who WANTS can explore any kind of music they want.  

Geez.  I was just trying to write a nice introduction.  No reason for you all to get so upset about it.

A good friend of mine has been introducing his kids to 80s music, and for some reason asked me for ideas on what to share with them.  Hey!  I'm only ten, so what would I know about 80s music?  But, it just so happens that I do like a wide range of music from many eras - so I did have suggestions.  Of course, that got me to thinking about other 80s music that I haven't listened to for a while or have kind of ignored, even though I knew about it.  After all, there is so much music out there, it's easy to miss things or opt not to pay attention to certain groups or tunes.

In my case, I often ignored the most popular groups and songs - coming back to them later when the uproar over them was over.   This was not and is not always true, but it has been my pattern more often than not.

So, my music playlist for Saturday, we will focus on songs released in the 80s!

Boston is actually one of those groups that I enjoyed when I heard them, but I didn't really follow them.  So, it was actually kind of nice to have the motivation to hunt down a couple of tunes I appreciated.  Of course, radio play was heavy for "Amanda," which is why I didn't pick it.  Instead, I picked a tune I liked better - both then and now.

Cool the Engines - Boston

Then, there is the "baby in the bag" album by the Call (if you take the link, you'll understand - this was the album cover).  It was a popular album on college campuses and deserved to be popular everywhere, but didn't seem to quite get enough push in the mainstream.  This one is not my favorite tune on the album, but I've shared that before, so we'll go with this one.

Oklahoma - the Call

I had a very good friend who had an affinity for a few groups in particular.  But, his favorite had to be Queen.  The great thing about being good friends is the fact that each of us would listen to each other's favorite music.  And, for that, I will be forever grateful, because I had more opportunities to listen to the skillful musicianship of this band.

Somebody to Love - Queen

And here's one I bet most people have not heard of - unless you have read some of what I've written or know me well.  This band probably should have gotten more attention than it did, though it did have some radio play with "Waiting for the Worm to Turn."

Pencil and Paper - Bourgeois Tagg

Growing up, I read all of the books in the Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock, so why wouldn't I pick a tune that featured Elric?  

Black Blade - Blue Oyster Cult

And, of course, it would make no sense - at least to me - if I ignored a band that has become an all-time favorite over the years.  Even after playing the tar out of most of their tunes from the albums Chase the Kangaroo, Wide Eyed Wonder and Circle Slide, I still listen to them frequently and still delight in hearing new things buried in the mix.

Consider - the Choir

I always liked Annie Lennox's voice, but I have to admit that this was another group that I might listen to only when it popped up.  But, a vocalist with this skill tends to pop up all over the place over time, including for the Lord of the Rings films.   Ah, sneaky me, I actually get two songs in my list this way.

Thorn in My Side - Eurythmics

Here's another group that I have followed throughout their long careers.  I was introduced to them by a radio DJ in my home town.  He had an extra vinyl record and thought I might enjoy them - passing it on to me when I came in to help host a show one day.  A gift that keeps on giving.

This is the Way Love Is - 77s

How about a vocalist that had a huge range and amazing command of her voice?  Yeah, I can do that. The interesting thing about Benatar was that she brought incredible vocal skills to rock music that was, of course, dominated by male voices - some of whom were mediocre with their skill sets.

All Fired Up - Pat Benatar

The 80s had MTV and every band that wanted to "make it" had to produce a video.  Let's just say that there were some that were amusing - and most just featured the band playing and lip synching to the tune (sometimes badly).  In any event, for something a bit different from the rest, let's do this one - clearly, I never did learn how to "dress sharp" and I'm not sure I was missing anything if this video is any indicator.  

Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top

And, on the other side of the ball, there were groups that were their music to point out problems in this world and (hopefully) encourage solutions.  The western desert lives and breathes at 45 degrees.

Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil

This list went to eleven.  I hope you enjoyed it.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.