Monday, March 21, 2022

Time Tension

 

Hobnob has been one of our Indoor Farm Supervisors since October of 2010.  She is probably our least camera-friendly supervisor, which is one of the many reasons you do not see her featured very often in the blog.  

Hob is a study in contrasts.  She has a tendency to not want to sit still if she is in a lap, bumping hands for more attention and wriggling to try and get into a "more comfortable" position continuously.  She has always been a bit abrupt.  When it is time to sit, she sits.  Time to get up and move, she gets up and goes.  Time to sleep?   She sleeps.

On the other hand, Hobnob is also very good at loooong naps and loooong periods of time looking out of windows.  She can really concentrate on something if she wants.  But, this cat is probably not the most content of our felines.  I get the feeling she's always hoping for something more - whatever that might be.


I came to a realization that I might relate to Hobnob more than I thought I did.

You see, I recognize this tension.  I value the ability to be able to do and be involved in a wide range of things.  I also value the opportunity to have a nice BIG chunk of time to really concentrate on a single something. I appreciate the participation in regular, daily or weekly, activities - things that don't take too terribly long, but occur frequently.  I also like to have big chunks of time where I can just ignore routines and do something completely different.

Finding a good balance between these is a non-trivial activity.

The picture above shows what is left of our old barn.  It's a pile of rubble that is going to take a significant amount of time to clean it up and, maybe, prepare the area for something else.  I was walking around it on one of our recent, nice days, and I had this desire to dive in and begin doing the work.

And I realized that I did not have the time to do that.  I'd barely get the tools out before I would have to get to one of those "daily things" I was referring to.

This is something I have to work out.  I can't just stop doing things because I won't have a long chunk of time to dedicate to them.  I have to find ways to break them down... put them into a bunch of smaller chunks of time.

Hey.  It's Spring.  This happens every time March rolls around.  But, it feels like this March features more of this problem than some have.  

Maybe its just me or maybe its just life.  Either way, I bet many of us deal with the tension that surrounds how we use the time we've been given.

Here's to doing our best to use it well - and learning to accept the decisions we make as we travel from day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.