Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Parable Problems


One of my (possibly annoying) habits that I know I fall back on is the use of a story or parallel concept to help to explain or explore ideas, concepts, skills, and even tasks.  Another thing I know I used to do more (and still do but less often because my occupation has changed) was to answer a question with the question "well, what do you think?"  I have been told that one can truly be annoying - even if it might end up being appreciated in the end.

For example, my siblings would sometimes ask for help with their math (not that they really needed it all that much - they're smart).  After the question was asked, my reply was almost always "what do you think?"  The initial response was usually a roll of the eyes and a sigh of exasperation.  I admit I actually took a little bit of delight in that.  And they probably did too.  After all, we all knew that the asker didn't want to play games, they just wanted to get the answer and get it all over with.

Still, the question is a good one.  By asking, I was signalling that their thoughts had value and that I thought they were capable.  Whether they got that from me or not is probably debatable.   But, I am hopeful.  The other purpose was that I was able to collect more information about where they were with their understanding.  Once I had that, I had a better chance of honing in on what might actually be most helpful.

Also - I was not in the habit of just giving out answers... which, of course, meant they weren't always as happy with me at that moment.

And so, there you are.  I told you a story.  What was the purpose of that story?  Was I making a point?  And if so, what was it?

This story-telling habit is fraught with peril.  Not only does it run the risk of paraphrasing and misinterpretation, the story sometimes overpowers the message. I could fill many blog entries with examples of classes I facilitated where a student substituted the story for the more accurate description or answer.  Essentially confusing the story with the fact, rather than using it as a stepping stone to get to that knowledge.

But, perhaps the most discouraging result is when it appears to me as if no one actually recognized or considered any value in the story beyond the face value.  That's not to say that every story I tell is supposed to have a deep and profound meaning or moral statement.  But, when I take the time to try to summarize and make connections after the story is told and people STILL don't think even a little bit about it...   

So, what's the solution?  Is there some changes I should be making, or am I fine the way I am?  

I don't know.  What do you think?  And you can feel free to throw that question back at me if you wish.  Warning.  I might answer with a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.