Tuesday, August 3, 2021

No Comment

We are all hungry for some sort of affirmation, which is why I think so many people get hung up on "likes" in their social media and comments in response to what they offer up to the electronic universe. 

But so much of this is the "junk food" that leads to unhealthy interactions and empty praise and support.

So, I will write my blog post that supports comments and I will promote the blog post on Facebook and Twitter.  Talk about inconsistency!

Here, let's take a quick look at a sunflower.  That should help!

So, why does someone like me bother with the blog and the social media - especially if I feel that way about these things?  It's a valid question and it deserves a real answer.

The answer is - I don't always know the answer to that.  Because sometimes I find myself getting tempted to play the same games everyone else in e-media land like to play.  I'm gonna turn those likes into fame and glory - don'tcha know?

Well, actually, I had somebody ask me why I did NOT promote my blog more aggressively.  They were quite kind and let me know they really liked what I write and felt it was worthy of more attention.  That was REAL feedback and I filed away as healthy praise and support - thank you.  

However, the day that I write only so I can get virtual recognition will be the day I will change what I am doing.  The way I see it, this is a gift to a small set of people and each post will go wherever it needs to go.  I have things I need to process and think about and writing is one way I can do just that thing.  I have concerns that I hope I can share with others who might be willing to work with me to address them.  There are things I value that I hope to share with others.  I value learning and critical thought. And I offer what I write as a gift to those that need it.  You can decide if the gift is acceptable to you or not.  I offer it with my best intentions and hope it will be of value to someone - even if it is just me!

I am not really interested in the high calorie, short-term energy that comes with a large amount of low-investment praise or criticism.  Give me the sporadic, yet genuine compliment and the carefully considered and respectfully delivered critique any day.  

Here - here's a picture of a lily!  That'll help, won't it?

So, what got me started on this topic?

Well, I like cartoons and I sometimes read news stories.  How's that for a useless explanation?  But, let me explain further.

I have noticed that cartoon sites often include a comment section for each and every cartoon.  I typically ignore them.  But, the few times I've looked, the incivility shown between those who bother to comment is pretty difficult to swallow.

It's. A. Cartoon. People.

In any event, I do understand that there is a community that can form around practically anything and I have been involved in virtual, online communities practically since their inception.  So, it's not that I don't get it.  It's more that I don't think many of these forums are healthy places to be - and I am not certain they do much to help the creator of the comic either.

Then there are the news stories that include comments sections.  These almost always devolve into the worst name-calling and divisive threads you can imagine.  The script is the same one people follow for most social media threads that sink into the depths of unthinking and unreasoning controversy.

A feel good story about someone helping someone else led to a full-blown argument about Covid-19 and vaccinations and masks and social distancing and and and....   That led to a bunch of people yelling at those people that this was a "feel-good" story "for goodness sake."  I just READ SOME of the comments and I felt my blood pressure go up.

I certainly didn't feel good anymore.

My goodness!  Look how big some of our sunflower leaves have gotten this year!

In any event.  I do welcome your feedback when you give it to me - whether it is attached to the blog, or the social media post you saw that led you to the blog.  Or if you tell me to my face or in a nice card in the mail.

Why?

Because so many of you actually gift me with something real - something that is healthy and positive - even if you might disagree and you tell me so.  And I appreciate that.

But, I am aware that this is not true everywhere, which is why I want us to consider times when we shouldn't allow public comment spaces - especially in forum structures that enable and promote bad behaviors.

Every news story does not require a public commentary.  And a creative piece does not need you to come along and try to overshadow it with your own perceived brilliance either.  If you feel the need to wow us with your skills, take the time to create your own space and your own thing rather than attempting to tear down someone else's offering.

Wow!  That's a pretty flower!

Today's challenge for anyone who reads this blog:  find a way to give someone a specific and substantial bit of praise or affirmation for who they are and what they are trying to do.  Don't do that here.  Go out there and find someone who needs that gift today.

You will notice (maybe) that I turned comments OFF for this blog to drive home the point. (insert smiley face here)

And as for you - yes you - thank you for reading the entire blog and considering my words in the spirit I intended them.  I appreciate your willingness to think a little with me.  Have a good rest of your day!