Saturday, July 22, 2023

July Playlist


This seems like a nice Saturday for me to share the July music playlist on the Genuine Faux Farm blog.  And, since you all are reading the blog after the point where I held an internal debate about whether I should do a playlist or not - you're just going to have to go along with my decision!

Many months, over the past couple of years, I've put together playlists that go to eleven.  If you are curious about others, you can go here.

Sixpence None the Richer - Waiting on the Sun

Last month, I featured a cover by Sixpence and this time around, let's do an original tune.  Like anyone else who enjoys music I allow myself to be captivated by certain artists for a while and I'm currently in the mood for Leigh Nash and Matt Slocum.  Of course, their music is still very good whether I am actively listening or not. 

The Cure - Pictures of You

The Cure is a group that I, admittedly, have only listened to a few of their tunes.  But, I've enjoyed this one since it was initially released.  It's got a laid back feel to the music and lyrics with some depth.  You can choose to just let it wash over you or you can really contemplate it.  Your call.

Sam Phillips - Zero Zero Zero

I've come to realize that I like sharing Sam Phillips music in the monthly playlists.  Perhaps that's because it feels like she should get more attention than she has over the years.  Maybe it's because I can usually find a tune of hers that somehow fits into every playlist.

Write This Down - Hand Grenades

It's probably no secret by now that I often like various forms of rock and that I enjoy identifying indie groups that happen to catch my ear.  Write This Down can do a bit of "yelling" in some of their tunes, but this one doesn't go that far -so it's okay for a wider range of listeners.

Over the Rhine - Faithfully Dangerous

We had the privilege of seeing this group during some of their earliest iterations when they were a full band.  Over time, they have become a husband/wife team with outstanding song creation ability. 

Steve Taylor and the Perfect Foil - Rubberneck

If you like your music a bit heavier and more upbeat and if you appreciate some sharpness to the lyrics, Steve Taylor's got you covered. 

John Austin - Leave the Light On

Apparently, I was in the mood for some talented singer-songwriters this time around.  John Austin is also someone we were able to hear very early in his performance career.  It's nice to watch talent unfold over time.

King's X - Manic Moonlight

I noticed that King's X is touring again this year.  This is a group that's been making new tunes since 1979 under a different name.  The music library under the name King's X and all of the material put out in other projects by Dug Pinnick and Ty Tabor is significant.  It makes it hard to pick one for a list.

The Choir - Sunshine Girl

Yes, it's true, I going with a number of long-time favorite artists this time around.  This tune.... let me warn you....  You'll be humming it later on.

Takenobu - Method and the Masses

There must be cello.  And here it is.  I like the creativity Takenobu has to use voice, looping and cello to build music.

Skald - Fluga

And now, we go to some music that uses traditional Norse influences and instruments.  That seems like a good way to end the July list - especially if you are feeling warmer on the day your read this one.


There you go!  Enjoy the music.  And if you find nothing here you like, you know what to do!  Find something you like and take a listen.  Have a good remainder of your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.