Saturday, June 24, 2023

June Playlist

 

This Saturday seemed like a good day to share a music playlist.   These lists go to eleven and I've been sharing music I enjoy most months the past year (and on and off prior to that).  One individual mentioned after last month's playlist that I could just embed the videos and people could stay on the blog page and play them if they wanted.  

So, we're going to give that a try.  Let me know if you like this version of playlist better!

I'm On My Way - Rhiannon Giddens

The instrumentation, including Rhiannon's voice, is superb.  Close your eyes and listen - and I think you'll enjoy this one.

"I don't know where I'm going, but I know what to do..."


 In the Air Tonight - the Choir

The Choir did an interesting cover of the Phil Collins song that was (and still is) very popular.  I almost feel as if the tone of this version captures a different feel to the lyrics.  If you know the original, don't expect the drum part that so many people reference.  In my opinion, the Collins version shows more anger and the Choir version highlights the feelings of pain and maybe regret.

Don't Dream It's Over - Sixpence None the Richer

Let's do another cover of an original tune by Crowded House.  I think Leigh Nash's voice fits the tune better than the original vocalists, but that's just my opinion.

"Only shadows ahead barely clearing the roof Get to know the feeling of liberation and relief.."

Place in the Country - Fanny

Well, we've got the place in the country part down....  But, I bet the members of this musical group weren't thinking about running a small-scale, diversified farm at their place in the country.

Touching the Untouchables - Men At Work

Men At Work's Business As Usual album was one of the few cassettes I had that wasn't recorded off of a vinyl album when I was in high school.  This song flew under the radar, but it is probably one of the tunes from this album I have consistently enjoyed hearing over the years.

Invisible Man - Prodigal

You might see some correlation between this tune and the last with references to those who are poor and live in the streets.  The "untouchables" and the "invisible man" are apt references.

Feeding the Dark - Evanescence

Here's a tune with another wonderful vocal.  I've always enjoyed the soaring quality of Amy Lee's vocals and how it works with a heavier accompaniment.  

Don't Do Anything - Sam Phillips

"When you're useless, I love you most..."

Give it a listen.  It's just a good tune.

Nuts for You - 77's

It's time for a good jam.  Between Fanny and the 77's there should be plenty of good jam material in this list.

We Fall Apart - We As Human

"So unpredictable, we're comfortably miserable..."

I like lyrics that explore contrasts and this tune does that.  It doesn't hurt that it has a beautiful sentiment.


Washboard Road - Aaron Sprinkle

"While I’m headed home
Down this washboard road
I’ll do my best to hold you up along the way"

This tune has a texture to it that actually makes me feel like I'm in an old pickup, slowly going down a washboard road - but slowly enough that the washboard doesn't cause Sprinkle's voice to wobble as the truck hits each ridge.  Is it the title and lyrics that make me think that or does the music have something to do with it too?  You tell me. 

I hope you found a tune or two that you enjoyed today.  If you didn't, you certainly have the option to find a tune you prefer and listen to that!  Have a great day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.