Thursday, June 29, 2023

Do You Mind If I Smoke?


Wednesday was going to be a difficult day after a series of difficult days.  But I was hopeful that I could spend a little time cultivating in Valhalla (one of our high tunnels) or doing some sort of outdoors farm work.  Maybe a little time working with the soil and green and growing things would offset some of struggle some of the other events had introduced into our lives.

But I didn't count on the smoke.

Visibility fell to less than one mile and after doing chores and a few other things outside, I recognized that I was starting to cough and my lungs were starting to feel a bit tight.  So, I had to retreat to the indoors where we are among those who are fortunate to have some sort of air conditioning.

This Air Quality Index (AQI) map was copied from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources site at about noon on Wednesday.  You can view an interactive map here.  At the point I took this image, the IQAir site listed Waterloo's AQI at 189.  

This rating puts us soundly in the "unhealthy" range and on the edge (200) of the "very unhealthy" rating.  At least we are still a long ways away from "hazardous."

Tammy had checked the AQI numbers earlier in the day and reported that she saw readings in our area over 200.  By my observations, looking out the window or when I go outside, I am certain the numbers would fluctuate throughout the day.  Sometimes I can see the neighbors house that is a half mile away pretty clearly.  Sometimes.... not so much.

Perhaps the most difficult thing to swallow in all of this from my personal perspective is the comfortable temperatures and the nice breeze that would knock down some of the gnats that often bother us when we're outdoors at the farm.  It would be a great day to be outside at the Genuine Faux Farm.

If only you could breathe.


I recognize that my own little inconveniences only trivialize what is actually happening in the world around me.  I grabbed this map from a location I forgot to document earlier in the month of June.  And, if you're interested in satellite images that show the fires and smoke, I suggest this site.  This isn't just one or two wildfires, it is hundreds of wildfires all over Canada.  While I am struggling with smoke in Iowa, I recognize how much worse the situation must be for our neighbors to the north.

So, I guess I'll just deal with a difficult day in a different way.  After all, it could be more difficult than it already is.  Sometimes that's the blessing you have to count, when others don't seem so obvious to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.