Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Moonshot

The Blue Moon loomed over the horizon as I was completing the evening chores last week and I thought to myself how sad it was that I didn't have the camera with me.  I noticed that Tammy was trying to take pictures or video with her phone and guessed I could either do the same or take the time to get things from her phone to my computer.

Then I came to a realization that I did not have to stay inside once the chores were done.  And, for that matter, I could finish some of the chores by moonlight.  So I trotted inside and grabbed the camera.

This has nothing to do with my prowess (or lack thereof) when it comes to night photography.  Those skills don't actually exist for me because I have only recently found the settings on the camera to allow me to even try.  

Sure, there was some "beginner's luck" when I first received the camera with a couple of photos.  Otherwise, I don't often think about the camera in the early morning or late evening unless there is a sunrise or sunset that really grabs my attention - and I know how to take those shots so there isn't much thought beyond trying to frame the picture.  

Hey, if you farm - even if it is on a smaller scale than it used to be - the beginning and end of the day is often full up.  My mind is often on the completion of tasks and plans for other tasks for later in the day or to do the following day.  And, my brain is often less than ready to try to figure out some setting or function on a camera.

I was captivated most by the juxtaposition of sunflowers in the moonlight.  The first photo you see at the top was taken outside by the sunflowers.  You can see moonlight shining through, and off of, the sunflowers themselves.  A more skilled photographer with a better camera might have come up with something captivating with this set up.  I merely got enough to remind me of how magical that moment was when I recognized this was a moment when the moon and the sun(flowers) met for a brief time.

The last photo was taken from inside of Valhalla, one of our high tunnels.  The plastic distorted the moonlight but was strong enough to show the shadows of a couple of sunflowers as well.  This picture is different, but I like the feel of it.  I don't care if it is sharp because it was the texture and the light vs dark I wanted to capture.

So, while other folks have shared nice, crisp photos of the moon, I offer up some impressionistic versions.  I like both, of course.  Maybe with some work, I can accomplish both.  But for now, I kind of like how these turned out.

Still, the real triumph for me is that I reminded myself to take time for moments of gratitude, awe and wonder.  The changing of the day is frequently one of the best times to experience these things because there are so many dramatic moments.  Sunlight dancing on the clouds.  Mist rising over the fields.  Lightning in the distance.

But maybe this is a good time simply because it IS a time when I am outside EVERY DAY.  Even if the purpose is to do farm chores that I just want done, it is important that I also give myself permission to see, hear and feel the world around me.

Have a good remainder of your day.  And don't forget to give yourself an opportunity today to experience gratitude, awe and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.