Saturday, September 23, 2023

September Playlist

This seems like a good Saturday in the month of September to share a music playlist.  This time around, I'm just going to share a few tunes that are some all-time favorites of mine.  It doesn't matter if I've shared these specific songs before.  It doesn't matter if I share more than one song by the same artist.  It doesn't really matter what anyone who reads this might think.  

It's my list, and I'm sharing the music I like.  That's all there is to it, so there!

Ok.  I hope you like some of these selections too.  It's not required that you do, of course.  So, if you're left wanting after this, put in some of your own favorites, or go listen to the wind in the trees or in the dry, fall grasses, or the voice of someone you love.

And now, for our list, which goes to eleven.

Smokescreen - Lost Dogs

Great lyrics, of course.  But the thing that sticks out is the atmosphere that comes with this song.  You can almost feel the wind creeping in through the cracks of an old shack on a cold winter day, especially at the end of this track.


Restore My Soul - the Choir

This one has been a favorite for a very long time.  All of the images of being "almost there, but not quite" are relatable for all of us.  "A bridge away from justified, a step away from whole."  The song has a mesmerizing beat and I always find myself stopping to listen to the instrumentation at the end.

Give Me Strength - Over the Rhine

Apparently there are a couple of things developing here.  I like songs that use the instrumentation and sound to build a a bit of a mood for the lyrics that go with them.  "Give me time to heal and build myself a dream...Give me strength to be only me."


Echo Wars - Peter Case

I will freely admit that I would not usually pick Peter Case in an "all-time favorites" list if I were asked to select off the top of my head.  And yet, every time I'm perusing the music in our library and I see this Peter Case album, I can immediately hear the tunes in my head.


Low - Violet Burning

It's a big, grand tune.  And, to listen to it requires an investment of a sort.  But a worthwhile one.  

We could lie here together
Pulling the stars from the sky
Maybe things will get better
Maybe not, I don't know why

Forum - Undercover

Another tune that has a beat that make you bob your head or tap your feet, even when you tell yourself not to. 

 

Faust, Midas, and Myself - Switchfoot

Life begins at the intersection.  Great story-telling and lyrics in this one.

I Need Love - Sam Phillips

I have a hard time picking a particular song by Sam Phillips.  She writes in a way that makes me feel like a song is comfortable even on the first listen, but still fresh after several listens.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

Yeah.  I know.  Lots of people like this song.  Fine with me.


War - Lifesavers Underground (LSU)

And here's a tune not very many people have likely heard - as compared to the previous entry.  It's different.  I like it.  And that's why it's in the list.

And now, so this list properly goes to eleven....

Homeward - Future of Forestry

I'll just leave you with this one.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.