Friday, May 20, 2022

Can You Spot the Difference?


After a small rain shower early in the day, the wind really picked up (again) at the farm yesterday.  Wind is nothing new to us in the country, though it feels, to me, like the number of high wind days has increased over the years.  But, that's for another blog another time - because, there has been a measurable trend that is worth exploring.

Today, I wanted to focus on something else.  Take a moment and click on the picture above.  Look at the field behind the fence line and towards the right of the picture.  Do you see what I see?

Ok, now take a look at the quick video I shot yesterday.  I missed the really, REALLY strong winds that were going when I had to run in and get the camera.  And, I admit I got tired of being in the wind so I missed the one that followed.  But, the wind was strong enough to make a point.  

If you watch the video, I suggest that you turn the volume down.  Wind tends to make a lot of noise with the poor microphone on the camera.


Can you see the difference between the two fields in that video?  One has field residue remaining in the field, but BOTH fields have been planted for the coming season.  If I had got my timing right on this video you would also have seen clouds of dirt and dust being moved by the wind in the first field, and not so much in the second field.

Wind events during this time of year, when so many of our fields in Iowa are bare of cover, are NOT unusual.  Yet this is a time of year when many who raise crops of all types are turning the soil over and preparing it for the plants we hope to harvest at some point later in the season.  Growers need to remind ourselves that the soil is very vulnerable now to wind and heavy rains.  

And, yes, that includes the veggie growers at the Genuine Faux Farm.  We are not immune to this problem.

However, we can all try to do things to mitigate the issue.

Leaving some residue in the soil is one partial solution.  Having more wind breaks and fence lines with perennial woody plants is another.  Prairie strips would be a third strategy.  We can avoid tillage that pulverizes the soil, making it easier for it to move in wind and water.  We can raise cover crops and use intercropping techniques so there are more roots in the soil to protect it.  And, we can have more diverse crop rotations that would include things like hay and alfalfa so everything in the area is not all bare ground at the same time.

I recognize that many of the things we do to raise crops will damage the soil, so it is my job, as a grower, to do my best to minimize and heal the damage I do.  It's called stewardship.  I will do the best I can to turn healthy soil and land over to the next steward when it is time.  It is my hope more of us can hold land stewardship as an essential task, not just a task to undertake when it is convenient or profitable.

Thank you for letting me share my thoughts.  I hope you have a good remainder of the day and a good weekend to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.