Saturday, May 28, 2022

Way With Words III

 

I got it into my head a few weeks ago to highlight some writing that made me take notice as I was reading.  You can view all the posts on this topic by taking this link, if you have interest.

I have to admit that at least two of the three posts feature openings to books, including this one.  I guess that makes sense because the author is hoping to hook you into reading the rest of the story.  Perhaps more time goes into buffing and shining every single word and phrase until they really shine.  Or, it is just a human thing to keep starting from the beginning with the effort of refining the work.

Either way, this one got my attention:

"[A] tall old castle stands gazing out over a wide bay, a fortress isolated and protected by water, dignified and secretive as a queen who has outlived her royal husband.  She is crowned with magnificent towers, and the patchwork roofs of the lower buildings are her skirt.  A slender causeway that joins the castle to the mainland, stretches out like a bridal train spreading out to make the rest of her city, which lies in the folds of the hills and along the mainland edge of the bay." from Shadowmarch by Tad Williams

I do remember a time when I would not have allowed myself the time to paint the picture in my mind that the words suggest.  I was much less patient with my stories and wanted to get to the action.  I wanted things to happen!

But now, I find myself lingering as a quietly build a skirt of patchwork roofs in my mind onto the castle that already resides there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.