Friday, September 9, 2022

How a Cat Improved My Self-worth


I opened the door to the farm house to go out and perform the end-of-the-day farm chores.  The sun was sitting on the horizon and the air was heavy with the beginnings of a mist in the surrounding corn and soybean fields.  

As I closed the door, I looked out to the north and watched while the Inspector took note of my appearance. He leaped from his resting place and bounded around and over obstacles to quickly get to my location.  As he approached, he started talking to me, telling me about his day and how a good "skritch" would really be appreciated right now.

Of course he got that skritching.  And, of course, I listened politely while he let me know about the mouse he chased around the granary and the excellent beam of sunshine he had the good fortune to find so he could nap well this afternoon.  I even made certain to tell him that it was "ever so nice to see him, and that I was glad he had a pretty good day."

Cats are not known to go anywhere - especially towards a human - at speed.  Instead, they tend to figure out how to show just enough interest to prevent you from giving up on them.... but nothing more.  Inspector normally follows the feline playbook, but he knows himself and he knows his humans.  Somehow, he was aware that this was a good day to give my sense of self-worth a little boost.

I can only hope that everyone experiences the feeling that you get when another living being shows pleasure that you are present.  

Believe it or not, this is actually something you can take action on.  Be willing to show someone else that you are glad to see them and share that feeling with them.  You might be surprised that you'll get to experience that feeling yourself on a regular basis because YOU are looking to do the same for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.