Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Miss it - Sort of

Just a few years ago, we were still doing the Farm Share CSA program.  That meant that I had shares to deliver twice a week for 36 to 38 weeks of the year.  In addition, there were egg and other sales the rest of the season. That meant that it was typical for me, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, to hook up a cart to Rosie, the tractor, grab a batch of harvest containers, some tunes, a clipboard and a scale - and go out to harvest whatever was ready (and needed).

Of course, Fall usually meant there were additional harvest tasks that had to occur on the other days.  So, nearly every September day had some sort of harvesting going on.

Like all things of this nature, there was a certain amount of stress that came along for the ride.  Would there be enough of each crop so everyone could get a nice share of it?  Will the quality be up to my standards so I could feel good about what I was providing?  Could I get it all done so that I could clean, pack, load and go - in time?  The answer there was that we were often late during September because my helpers had all gone to their various schools.

The days are getting significantly shorter, but the work could still fill a July day's sunlit hours.

Over the last couple of years, I find that I am having trouble just finding time and energy to do farm things.  But, when I do, I am reminded that I do enjoy the harvest.  Especially, of course, if it is a reasonably good one.

But, I am also pretty sure that I don't have the desire to go back to the way it was either.

So, here we are again.  Looking for balance.  How much of this can I set myself up to do in the future so I can still enjoy the harvest... until I cross the line into being stressed by having too much of a good thing?

This year, we had a nice acorn squash, watermelon and pumpkin harvest.  Several other things have done fine.  And others - not so good.  But we do have more data to consider so we can keep working on finding the answer to the eternal Genuine Faux Farm question.

How much is the right amount of "much?"  

Well, we know one thing for certain.  Next year will be different.

Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.