Monday, September 5, 2022

Life in the Corners of the Farm

The great thing about the Genuine Faux Farm is that it is actually big enough for us to have a fair number of places that we do not exert our human influence overly much.  This has been true even during years where we were pushing to produce as much food as we possibly could.  The difference since we cut back on production is that I've allowed myself to spend a bit more time noticing certain "corners" and "out of the way" locations and observing how nature has chosen to populate them.

Just outside the large window in our kitchen is a panicled hydrangea.  It's probably not the showiest of bushes, but it provides some interest with its shape and its white flowers.  The bloom period is longer than many bushes, so that is something else we like.

What we really like is how much activity we notice in and around this particular bush.  We've watched Catbirds, Orioles and numerous other birds surfing through the branches throughout much of the warmer months.  During the colder months we've seen some of the "winter birds" sheltering there to stay out of the elements if they can manage it.  And, now that the flowers are open, we are noticing various bees and other insects checking out the flowers.  

And, once or twice a day, the hummingbirds swing by to check it all out.

It's a corner of the farm that doesn't necessarily draw too much attention except for the fact that it is immediately in our line of site when we sit in the kitchen.  That, all by itself, gives us a great opportunity to learn about life in this corner of our farm.
 

We have an area next to one of our most traveled paths that has been a place to throw big rocks, big chunks of cement and... well... let the grasses and other things do what they will.  There is a walnut tree nearby and some other brushy trees not far away too.

I noticed a couple of years ago that there were some healthy milkweed in this area, so I've been trying to support their growth as best as I can without really interfering too much.  For the most part, my biggest contribution has been to NOT mow that section down.  However, I did take the time last year to cut back some of the grasses that were competing with the milkweed.  The problem with that is that milkweed do not necessarily come up in exactly the same spot from year to year.

But this year, conditions were apparently perfect and the milkweed in this area went bonkers!

Unfortunately, this batch did not flower much, so there aren't many seed pods and I have not noticed a whole lot of activity around them - which is a disappointment to me.  Since I walk by them more than once each day, I would think I make enough observations to have some idea as to how active life in this corner of the farm might be.

Then again, maybe not.  Unlike the panicled hydrangia, I don't sit in one place to observe what is going on.  Typically I am walking by.  I do slow down and will sometimes stop for a bit.  But, I have to be honest that my observations are in passing.   Maybe I need to bring a chair out there for a while one day? 

Perhaps the saddest thing about this patch is that I can remember a time on this farm when patches that were a fraction of this size would have multiple Monarch larvae.  I have not observed any on this patch this year.  Nor have I noticed any of the few Monarchs that have fluttered around our farm this year anywhere near this patch.

Despite a lack of activity during my observations, there is evidence of nibbling on the leaves and, the surrounding area is one of the places the coneheads, katydids and crickets like to sing on a regular basis.

So, what is going on in the corners of your world?  Give yourself the chance to observe.  Who knows what you will find?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.