Saturday, December 3, 2022

Great Tunes for New Speakers


Dusting off the cd collection and the old stereo components has been both fun and mildly frustrating.  After all, I just realized that our Indoor Farm Supervisor (Bree the Cat), probably does not remember the stereo being used.  And she's twelve years old!

Aside from the astonishment at the passage of time, there have also been issues with cleaning the disks and dealing with a cd player that's skipping semi-frequently (also likely due to dust).  And, of course, I had somehow forgotten how rapidly a flood of cds and jewel cases can accumulate around the stereo when I get into a "oooooo! Let's listen to this one next!" mood.

But, here's the really good news.  I have really, REALLY been enjoying the music.  And that might be an understatement.

So, for our December playlist, I thought I would just share the tunes that have really "wowed" me when I got to play them on a good stereo after a long hiatus.  No rules about what's included here.  If they show up on another blog playlist, so be it.

Of course, some of the newer music I enjoy I don't have on cd, so I couldn't play them.  And I will also admit to often just letting the first song on a disc play and if it caught me, good deal. I just put them in this list alphabetically because... I did.

Homeboys - Adam Again

It's the bass line on this one by Adam Again that really got me when I played it on the new speakers.  If I wanted to, I could rattle some windows with this tune.  (for the record, I abstained... this time)

Seemann - Apocalyptica

Pizzicato, interesting vocals and lots of texture.  I tend to like music that has lots of layers, depth and texture.  And, by the way, there is cello... lots of cello.

Finale - Blackhouse

This one has a ton of different sounds and textures.  These guys fell into a label called "industrial noise" at the time.  Not sure what they might be classified as now, but I find them interesting and it played well on the new speakers.

Best of All Possible Worlds - Bourgeois Tagg

This song actually got some radio play in its time (well deserved).  Tunes with excellent production quality tended to really shine and this was one of them.  This group should have seen more success than they did at the time.

I Still Believe - the Call

There are just were some tunes that have been favorites for a very long time.  You can't fault me for wanting to play them.  And Michael Been's huge voice was in full force.  Yet I still felt like I was picking up a new thing or two this time around - which was astonishing.

The Secret of Time - Charlie Peacock

Speaking of astonishing.  I thought I knew this tune.  This time around it was a whole new listening experience.  I could hear every word and every different piece of percussion.  I won't be able to listen to this tune in the background for a while because I'll want to stop and try to catch it all.

What You Think I Am - the Choir

It's no secret that the Choir has been a favorite group of mine for a long time.  I enjoyed several other tunes by them with the new speakers, but this one is the one that provided the most revelation.  I don't think I've really heard it on a hi-fi system before this.  Lots and lots of texture that, frankly, didn't stand out when I played it on the single speaker systems.

Return of the Beat Menace - Daniel Amos

So many different sounds playing off of each other.  It's interesting enough on a single speaker on a computer.  Imagine what happens with better sound equipment.

Smokescreen - Lost Dogs

Here's something that is more of a folk quality tune.  The acoustic guitar was clean and clear.  The resulting soundscape made me feel like I WAS in a remote cabin with the wolves and wind howling.

Golden Age - Midnight Oil

I was drawn in by the opening guitar and the bright tone.  This tune is a bit more sparse than many of the others, yet it felt so much more interesting than I remembered it.  It's got to be the fact that I could catch the details so well.

Mytho X - Mortal

Yeah.  Well, I might have rattled the windows a little here.

Give Me Strength - Over the Rhine

This one has a great fade in followed by a catchy rhythm.  Also, Karen Bergquist's voice sounds amazing on the new speakers.  Good stuff.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

Most people I know are aware of this tune.  Most people who know the tune will understand how hearing it on a good hi-fi system could be a positive experience.  It's almost entirely about the vocals this time around.

Lying - Sam Phillips

This one falls in the same category as the Charlie Peacock and Midnight Oil tunes.  Lots of different sounds that are reproduced clearly and grab my attention.  It doesn't hurt that you can hear interesting lyrics crystal clear.

The Sound of Waves - Steve Scott

Here's a song that's fine on a sound system that isn't very good.  So it was really nice to hear it with some better quality reproduction because it gets even better.

Forum - Undercover

You might notice that many of the tunes I selected have openings with some interest.  I suppose it would makes sense if I was going from tune to tune that I would immediately glom onto tunes with this quality.  It's ok, I liked all of these ALL the way through.

Crush - Violet Burning

I also like songs with contrasting tones.  We've got a lot of that going on here, with an excellent build up throughout the tune.

Attaboy - Goat Rodeo Sessions w/ Yoyo Ma, etc

Let's do something different now!  Four instrumentalists who are among the best in the world for what they play - and the playback on the new system fully supported this statement.  They sounded like the best.  It's a good thing.

Nowhere Else - 77s

This one got me on the "hey na na" fade in vocal.  Then I just sat down and listened to the rest.  This is the Way Love Is followed it and then Perfect Blues...  When the music is good, this sort of thing tends to happen.

I hope you enjoyed a few of the tunes.  And if you didn't, go find something you like and make yourself happy by listening to it instead of all the silly stuff I like!  It's ok.  I won't be offended.  Instead, I'll be listening to one of these or ... something else.

Have a good remainder of your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.