Saturday, December 24, 2022

Unmatched - BOGFF 22

 


They were in my sock drawer, folded together, so I grabbed them and threw them on the bed with the rest of the clothing I was going to wear on a day when Tammy was not going to be preparing to head into school.  That last bit is actually quite important in the telling of this story.  Because, if Tammy were focused on doing everything she needed to do to get ready, she probably would not have noticed anything amiss.

But, this day was different.

"WHAT?!?  You can't wear those!  They don't match!!!"

It was a scandal in the making, that much was certain.  And, I could have left well enough alone by simply setting these aside and grabbing new ones.  But, I didn't.

"Why?  They're both black and grey.  No one's going to see them anyway.  It's Winter and I am not wearing shorts....not that I wear shorts anyway.  They'll be fine."

"But..... they don't match!!!!"

Oh dear.  I had really stepped in it this time.  Ok.  I had not YET stepped in it, because they were still on the bed.

Now, I ask you.  Do YOU see the differences between these socks?  Well, you probably do now that I've pointed it out.  But, did you the first time you looked at them?  Well... that's unfair too if you read the title.

Ok... if I had not clued you in with a title and all of the stuff I just wrote, would you have noticed the difference?  You would?  Oh.

Actually, I did too.  But, hey, they were together.  And, they're close enough.  And, no one was going to see them.  And.... I didn't take into account the Tammy factor.

Still, sensing some fun, I did not leave it alone.  

"They'll be fine.  You won't see them."

"But, they don't match!  I'll know they're there! And, they're not even the same texture!"

"They're just socks."

"Well, if it starts making you walk funny, it'll be your fault."

So, of course, I started walking funny.  While I am NOT part of the Ministry of Silly Walks, I can do fine if I must.

In my defense, I used to always wear the white "athletic" socks.  Who cared which sock actually belonged with which sock?  They were all dingy white - and the only way to match them was by the amount of wear.  If the elastic was mostly gone, those would go together.  The ones with holes in the toes - those go together too.  See?  That's how you match socks.

But, by color, design and texture?  What is this world coming to?

And for those who have concern - I did end up setting the socks aside, and I pulled out a pair of properly matched socks to wear.

And I took the unmatched pair, took a picture of them, and wrote a blog post - because Tammy and I make quite a pair (and a good pair at that).

-----------------

What's with the BOGFF 22 in the title?  I (Rob) am giving himself a bit of a blogging break at the end of the year in hopes that it will give me space for more creativity in the future.  Rather than creating a post or two linking the "best of" blogs for the year, while continuing to put out new material, I am resubmitting what I feel were some of the best posts for 2022.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.