Thursday, December 8, 2022

Peer to Peer Challenge

 

Believe it or not, I am now in my third year working with the Pesticide Action Network - North America.  My duties have broadened and are varied, but my title remains Communications Manager and much of the speaking and work I do with Iowa-based organizations is now with my "PAN hat" on.

You have probably noticed that we are deep into the "end of year giving" period that so many non-profit organizations rely on to make their work possible in the coming months.  I have been on "both sides of the ball" now and I fully understand how everyone feels when they get yet another appeal for money.  However, I also recognize that this IS the season when more people are willing to make a contribution.  And, I have also learned that an organization that fails to ask for support will most likely not get it.

Like many of you, I put serious consideration into where I will offer financial support. It is important to me that I agree with the organization’s goals, intentions, and methods. And, of course, I prefer to support groups whose actions match my sense for what will do the most good in the world.

When I joined PAN’s Communications Team in 2020, I realized there was something else that matters when it comes to figuring out where my donations should go. It’s the people.

I am impressed with the quality of the people I work with at PAN. My colleagues are genuinely motivated to do what they can to help us all break out of the cycle of food production and farming that relies on chemical-intensive practices. But even more than that, they do their work with integrity, preferring to put in extra effort to support statements with science while also recognizing the roots in our history that have led to unjust and failing food and farming systems.

While it is not in my nature to do this sort of thing, I still agreed to participate in this year’s “Peer to Peer” fundraising event. Why? It’s because of the people. I believe in them. It’s because of our work. I think it is worth doing.

If you are able to give two dollars, twenty dollars or some other amount, it is all helpful. Maybe if we work together we’ll find that we’ve reached my $500 goal.

If you now feel motivated to make a donation, you can take this link.

Thank you for carefully considering my request - regardless of whether you choose to give or not I appreciate your willingness to hear me out.  Here's here’s to an upcoming year of good and worthwhile work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.