Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Couldn't Get Much Closer

Today was a day of close, but not quite.  But, as they say, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Hey, I didn't make that one up.  But, I suppose I am guilty of passing it on.  Sorry about that.

Case Number One

This is a magnified portion of the radar from about 7pm on June 29.  To be honest, I had pretty much given up on getting any additional rainfall from the system that has been stationed over Iowa for the past week.  Then, I saw this thing blowing up and it appeared to be heading our way.  

I could see rain falling to our south.  No, not on the radar.  I could see it as I looked south out of a second story window.  It was about half a cornfield away.  Yes, that yellow and red patch was about as near a miss as we could get.

I suppose it would only have given us a tenth of an inch at most.  But, that would have been ok.

However, it is possible the rainfall discouraged someone from coming to visit us Tuesday evening - leading to....

Case Number Two

We made the moderately difficult decision that we would attempt to sell Durnik, our Ford 8n/2n tractor.  Durnik joined the Genuine Faux Farm in 2010 and represented a move on our part to scale up and raise more quality food for people.  After four or so years it became apparent that we needed just a bit more than Durnik - though he is a willing tractor - could handle.  

We thought we might be making a sale on Tuesday, but the little, black, rain cloud to our south may have deterred the arrival of our prospective purchasers.  

The reality is this.  This is a band-aid situation.  I tend to prefer taking the band-aid off quickly.  So, I, at least, was hopeful we could get this done.  We didn't.  And, like so many things on the farm, it will go some other direction than what I might expect.  Another opportunity to learn!

Case Number Three

The row of sunflowers in Freyr Field are ALMOST open.  

Well, ok.  ONE flower IS open.  And there it is - in all of its glory.

We got this row of sunflowers in pretty early and they managed the late May frost pretty well.  That means we'll have some pretty early sunflowers this year.  I am hopeful that some of these varieties (we planted a mix) will have an extended bloom season.

I've been meaning to find the time and energy to take more pictures, but this is the first time the camera took a trip around the farm with me in June.  You could call that case number three point five.  I ALMOST took pictures several times this month.  But, it no longer qualified for this post because I DID take some pictures.  HA!

Case Number Four

We almost threw these Gerbera Daisies into the compost this Spring.  

You see, we managed to over-winter them in the house this past year after they did well in pots outside the house most of the Summer last season.  they were looking a bit rough by the time we got to April, but we never quite got the gumption to carry them to the compost pile.  Instead, we kept giving them a bit of water on and off.

And now, this particular flower has rewarded us with a half-dozen blooms and I see the one behind it is starting to bloom as well.

I might just take them inside for the Winter again if they keep this up!

Case Number Five

We thought the snow peas were done once the hot weather in June halted their production prematurely.

First, let me say that the peas we grew did reach our goal of 50 pounds of production for the row.  I typically consider one half pound per row foot to be a reasonable return.  Fifty pounds is more like two-thirds of a pound per row foot.  So, I am good with that.

But, we got a little rain and we irrigated that plot and it cooled down for a week.  

And the snow peas, even though many leaves were yellowed, put on a flush of blooms.  And we have a small batch of peas we can harvest and eat.  I tasted a couple - they taste good!  So, now we just have to get to them.  I ALMOST harvested them today.

Case Number Six

The sun was ALMOST down when I took some of these pictures.  I was doing the rounds and doing the "pre-chores."

What's a pre-chore?  Well, those are the chores you do before you do the chores, dontcha know?!?

We know that the broiler flocks are more likely to go into their buildings for the night if we move their food and water inside the building before the sun goes down.  So, I've taken to doing that pre-chore (along with putting away equipment and closing up buildings) around 8pm so I can then write a blog before I go out and do the chores.

Speaking of the blog.  I almost did not write a blog for today.

But I did - so all is well on that front.

I hope you enjoyed this blog and I wish you the very best today.

2 comments:

  1. I almost did not read this before I got to other things. I'm glad I DID read it. Thanks for the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, nice addition. I almost did not reply to this comment now... but I did! So many examples we can use. Have a good one!

      Delete

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.