Thursday, December 30, 2021

Author's Choice

In yesterday's blog, I celebrated the 2021 Genuinely Faux blog entries that received the most readership according the Blogspot metrics.  I actually enjoyed seeing what landed at the top.  But, this time I get to share with you the top ten posts from my perspective.


I decided I wasn't going to put any particular restrictions on this list - they can come from Postal History Sunday or it can be Throwback post.  I will, however, remove the posts from yesterday's list from contention - because I've got plenty of quality posts to fill this list several times over if I let myself.  

These are just ten blog entries that stay at the top of my mind.  And, after nearly three hundred blog entries in 2021, that might actually be saying something.

If you are so inclined, feel free to take the links and enjoy a few of the following.

11.  At the End of the Day

Ha!  And you actually believed me when I said TOP TEN?  This list goes to eleven!

Actually, I added this one because I feel like this has some very good imagery.  I am sure those who do creative writing professionally might cringe at it. But, from my perspective, this is pretty darned good.

10.  Interplanting in Tomatoes

This post simply shows everyone that I can still write something that focuses on techniques for growing on our farm.  I could certainly write more of these in the future, but I am not always certain people want me to do so.  Since they do take some time and energy to get them right, it's a tough call.  That said, this one is an excellent example.  With another re-write or two it could be pretty good, don't you think?

9.  Up, Up, and Away

There have been times that I have been so pleased to actually acquire a certain item that it did not take me all that long to produce a Postal History Sunday featuring that item.  Sometimes, the rush to produce something and "do it justice" resulted in a good enough, but not superb, post.  But, with this one, I think I got the balance right.  I learned a host of new things, I provided some interesting information to those who were reading, AND I think it reads pretty well.  We'll take it!

8.  Thought You'd Always Be There

You had to know there would be at least one entry in the top ten that took a look at the local food/small scale enterprise angle.  Well, here it is.  I usually consider it a good sign when not one, but several people involved in local foods or local businesses told me they could relate to this one.  If you want to get a look at some of our "truths" regarding local - here it is.

7.   When I Stopped Listening

There were actually three blogs that I liked for this slot that fell into the same vein.  In the end, this one stood out.  It's an important message for all of us - especially in a time when confrontation seems easier to achieve than reconciliation.

6.  The Price of Bread - Postal History Sunday

It all began with a single item that caught my imagination, and once I researched that, I had an idea of what to look for.  A couple of items later and we have a nice blog post for Postal History Sunday.  We have a connection to agriculture and food production, which makes it a nice fit for who we are and what we do.  It just goes to show you that Postal History Sunday has found its way into some prominence in the blog as a whole.

5.  Gateway to Nowhere

When I started cutting blogs from my list of potential "top 10" entries, I usually removed those that were "Throwback" posts (ones that were a updated version of a previous year's entry).  But, this one....  This is one of my all-time favorite posts.  It's short.  It's well-written (even if I say so myself).  And it still makes a point that stewardship of the land is not the same as control and alteration of the land.  We all need that reminder.

4.   Changing Minds

There are times when the blog I end up writing is not the blog I initially set out to write.  Then, there are times when that blog - the one I did not intend to write - becomes so much better than the original idea ever could have been.  The sad thing about this blog is that the best lines are not mine...

"[T]he question is not only whether we’re proud of what we’ve achieved. We should also ask whether we’re proud of how we’ve achieved it." - Adam Grant

3.  Difficult Task?

This entry has it all.  It has a Faux Real story in the middle of it.  It has insight into our farm and the farmers.  And, the content can be applied universally.  This was also a blog that was not planned and came together rapidly.  Now - when I say not planned, that doesn't mean I haven't thought about such things a fair amount in the past.  It's just that some writings get constructed over several writing sessions.  Not this one! 

2. Depths of the Tomato Forest

It's a Faux Real story that includes our Guardian Dragons, butterflies and some people we care about.  What more needs to be said?

1. Breathe First, Then Do


And the number one entry is a blog post that snuck past people - and that's part of my motivation for including it here.  The other reason?  I found real value in reading this one again and came away feeling ready to do whatever it is that I must be doing next.  

----------------

Again, I thank you for being willing to read and consider some of the things I write.  This year actually turned out to be a pretty good year for writing.  I wonder what the next one will bring?

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I don't mean this to be a confessional -- I need to get back to writing but I am terribly rusty, busy and have nothing to say. These are excuses to avoid the dedication it takes to immerse myself into the written world. I have followed only two writers this past year in a consistent way. That is to say, two that I put things aside to sit down and read because I know I will learn something, or be touched by something, or inspired - all same thing. And I know both personally - that helps. That said, none of the blogs I read from GFF this past year made either of your lists. The statistics of # read versus # posted would support that. My readings were random and inconsistent. But it would throw me into an existential crisis to choose from 300 blogs (especially if I had nourished each one into existence) Thank you for your writing and for your 2021 (timeless) posts. I may not have read the top 10 in either list, but the whole blog site is a winner for me, and why I stop by to read posts when I can. I hope your other readers are more consistent than me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alpha, There is no test and no pressure for you or anyone else to view what is here on a consistent basis. The writing is here for when and if you or anyone else wants to read it. I am just glad you find some value in it when your life and your interests give you a desire to read.
      Rob

      Delete

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.