Tuesday, October 19, 2021

I Got Up This Morning

I got up this morning and the sun was coming up.  I knew it was time to get outside and get food and water to the creatures who depended on us for that sort of thing.  It looked like it was going to be pretty nice outside, but I did not want to do the chores alone, so I asked Hob Nob if she wanted to come help me.

But Hob Nob just kept her eyes closed and ignored me.

Happily, Tammy agreed to help with the chores today.  And, to be perfectly candid, Tammy is MUCH better at helping with chores than Hob Nob ever would have been.

It turned out I was right.  The skies were mostly clear and the sun was nice and bright.  Because we are now in mid-October, it was coming up in the southeastern sky.  The shadows were still pretty long, but it highlighted the textures of the world.

We commenced to filling buckets of water for the hens, henlets and turkeys.  The birds were clearly anxious to be out of their protective shelters and into their pastures. 

I got Rosie out of the granary and Tammy filled the food buckets.  Pretty soon, Rosie was loaded down with food and water so we could take all of these goodies to their destinations.

"Hey! Don't forget about me!" The Inspector made his presence known.  It would be a bad thing if the farmers forgot to provide sustenance for the farm supervisors.  Since we try to avoid "bad things" at the farm, we responded in a favorable fashion to this request.

Crazy Maurice has been hosting the turkeys in his field over the last several weeks.  Maurice tells me that he likes this time of year and appreciates the extra company (most of the time).  I walk away wondering if he is referencing Tammy and I or the turkeys....  I may never know.

The turkeys come out to make sure there is food and water already delivered - just as it has been each morning since they were first let out on to pasture.  Once the delivery has been confirmed, the jakes and tom commence to puffing and fanning.  It's a good thing to show off for the farmers - they appear to be an appreciative audience this morning.

I looked across at one of our neighbor's fields.  The corn was harvested, but there has been a new flush of green in their field - looking a bit yellowed after the frosts.  This is what happens when strong winds knock ears of corn off of the stalks.  Our weather has been nice enough that the corn that fell to the ground germinated.

There are still flowers on the farm - even though we've had a couple nights with frost.  The pumpkin leaves are done, but there are still marigolds.

 And, while the tops of the Amish Cockscomb were singed, they still provided some bright color and interesting texture with their blooms.


And the Cosmos played host to some bumblebees, who reveled in the morning sun.

I got up this morning, and I was glad that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.