Saturday, October 16, 2021

Staying in Tune

 

A few folks have said that they like the periodic post with a playlist of music that I am currently enjoying.  I certainly understand that not everyone likes them and that some people don't have internet that allows them to easily enjoy the links provided.  But, for those that do, here is a list for the month of October.

In a way, these posts are not terribly different from Postal History Sundays...  I am, once again, sharing something I enjoy and I hope you will find something here that you might also enjoy.  And, if you don't find something for you here, I hope you will at least be happy for me that I have found music I like and I, in turn, will hope you can find what interests you too!

This month, I enlisted the help of Stu (not STEW - he does not like that spelling) to determine what songs to include this month.  So here is the rooster approved list of tunes for your listening enjoyment.

What You Think I Am - the Choir

            This is a tune that deserves to be in a movie, or get on popular playlists.  It's a lyrical theme we can all relate to and it's just good music.

Anodynia: 4. Finale - Break of Reality

            Cellos and percussion.  What's not to like?

20 Loves - Veil of Ashes

            Sadly, Sean Doty, vocalist for Veil of Ashes, passed away.  There are a couple of songs this group put out that have been among my top favorites for many, many years. This is one of them.

Resilient - Rising Appalachia

            The theme of resiliency is well loved to those who work on small-scale, diversified farms.  I have little doubt this tune will show up here and there at various events that cater to this crowd.  (And, in fact, I just heard it at one a couple of days ago - was not surprised).

The Precipice - the Classic Crime 

            It's a beautiful tune with thoughtful lyrics.  If you watch the video, please get over the fact that the video is slightly out of sync with the music.  Just listen.  This is another long time favorite.

Trance Celtica - Green Clouds

            I do have a soft spot for some Irish/Celtic influenced tunes.  This group is new to me.

Now - Future of Forestry 

            If I had the skill to write and perform music, it would sound like much of the music Eric Owyoung of Future of Forestry creates. 

In Maidjan - Heilung (in particular the first 3-4 minutes of this clip)

            Truth in advertising, I linked to a live performance that actually starts in the middle of In Maidjan and then runs into another tune I featured a couple of months (?) ago.  It's the vocals here that give me chills.  The talent... the skill... and the chills.

Deep - Adam Again

            It's got to be funky if it's Adam Again.  And it is.  I still love the music of this group even though I've played the tar out of it for.... a long time.

Scarcely Cricket - Ma, Duncan, Meyer & Thile

            Once a cellist, always a cellist.  Even if you don't actively play anymore.  So, of course, with two cellists in the household, we enjoy the works of Yo Yo Ma.  Add in other skilled musicians and you have another "goat rodeo."

Signposts - Sam Phillips

            Did you know of Sam Phillips before she gained more recognition as the vocalist who sang on Gilmore Girls?   She continues to write and create and I am grateful - though this one is actually a tune that's been around for a while.

River Queen - Robert Vaughn & the Dead River Angels

            I could not find an online version of this song.  But, I will still include it because I want to! 

Liars and Saints - Liars and Saints 

            And here's another linkless wonder.  This is cousin-in-law, Rusty Zaspel's band.  My brother made sure I got a copy of the demo album they put together a number of years ago and I just keep inserting a song here and there into my playlists - enjoying them every time.  I never did get the song titles, so I just guessed on this one.  So, Rusty, if you see this....

Lush of Spring - Morella's Forest

            Guess I am in the mood for a bit of "shoegazer pop."  Just imagine yourself walking down a sidewalk on a calm, sunny day in the Fall - with your headphones on and your head down... sometimes bobbing to the music as you step.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.