Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Rainy Day Folder

At one point in my life, I used to look forward to a nice, long, rainy day.  

Of course, this doesn't mean I can't appreciate a rainy day now - this is just a recognition that, once I started farming, rain did not mean the same thing as it once did.  After all, rain does not exempt me from chores, or harvesting and cleaning for deliveries.  In fact, rain often just made work more difficult - so it really wasn't the same thing at all!


In the past, a rainy day would be a day to go through some old papers or clean out/off a desk or closet... or some sort of thing along those lines.  As I would do these tasks, I would invariably find an item or two that would provide me with a fond remembrance or an emotional boost.  

Because the day had slowed me down and given me "cause" to perform a task that would expose me to things I had not seen in a while, I would have opportunities to reflect and reframe my current state of being.  Of course, I would have no guarantee that I wouldn't find things that would bring about painful reminders too (ooops, you forgot to fill out that form before the deadline!).  But, the main idea here is that a rainy day often meant that I had a chance to revisit something good.

And, so, once the pandemic started, I created an electronic "rainy day folder," to be opened on those days when I need a boost.  It's not required that it actually be raining - it can be any time I'm feeling like I'm just not good enough or I'm feeling down.

What's in the folder?

A bunch of quick cut and pastes of kind words I have received since March 2020.  It usually only takes one of them to remind me that I do bring some value to this world - even if it doesn't feel like it at the moment.

What's in your "Rainy Day" folder?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.