As a part of this celebration, we're doing a series of "retrospective" pieces. For those that have been with us for some time, you might enjoy seeing some of this to remind us all how far we've come. If you have not been with us all that long, you get the benefit of seeing where we've been without having to go through the growing pains with us!
For those who have interest, you may notice links in this post to other blog posts from 2012, so feel free to take them and explore. In particular, you can see what we thought of the year with our 2012 in Review post that we put out there in January, 2013. If you missed our prior installments for this retrospective series, here is 2011 and 2010.
The great thing about looking back is that I can work to re-frame events. For example, we have come to equate 2012 with the "spray incident" year because it was something that took up alot of time and energy until just this February. Of course it was a big part of our year and we won't ignore that. But, we are finding it useful to concentrate on the other parts of that year, because there was alot going on - just as there always is.
|prior to clean up|
|after clean up|
|cold frame area in use|
|The granary sporting new doors.|
While 2011 featured some significant changes in our infrastructure, I'm beginning to realize that 2012 had its fair share of building work and equipment changes. In addition to new doors on the granary and truck barn we continued to paint and fix up the truck barn. And, if you recall, we had a project in the Poultry Pavilion to create a new room for the hens. We managed to finish that project in the Spring and we started putting up permanent fencing for their pasture area. Our Gang of Four farm friends helped us finish the room and start putting up the permanent fence. Sadly, some of the fence had to come back down so we could move birds off of the sprayed pasture. But, that's just the way things were.
The very early warm weather was big news. While it allowed us to get early work done around the farm, it had some negative results as well. Garlic crops throughout the state were infected with Asters Yellow disease due to their very early start. As a result, our garlic crop was very poor and our seed garlic was not viable. Looking back at it, it was a good reminder that we should not get complacent with respect to crops that we feel we had a good handle on.
|A meager garlic harvest in 2012.|
|Dry, dry and more dry.|
We were in our second year of a SARE research grant that netted some decent results for potato and bean spacing and we were looking to do additional research with paper mulch in subsequent years. Part of the mission of our farm is to advance and disseminate knowledge with respect to growing techniques. So, it was nice to be actively involved in some grant-funded projects.
|Beans and potatoes, together again!|
|paper mulch in the field|
|the mulch layer|
|Chicks in the incubator|
Grover, the blue truck was celebrating his 20th year (10th with us) and it was, unfortunately, his last. But, we welcomed Chumley the Big Red Truck to the farm in the Fall and he has served us well.
|Clyde and Chumley|
Another Fall addition to the farm were the Sandman and Mrranda. Don't let the picture fool you. They are actually pretty cute.
|Yep, this one's ok.|