Friday, February 26, 2021

More Talk, Same Walk

Every once in a while I am asked to speak for classes or conferences or... maybe a radio show once in a while.  I must admit that I do enjoy public speaking, despite my tendencies to be introverted.  Like most introverts, it takes a good bit of energy to work up to it and then I need some recovery time.  But, if someone thinks I have something to contribute - I do like doing it.

Does that make me a failure at being an introvert?  Let's all go to our respective corners and think that one through, shall we?

One of the more recent radio shows I was on was the well-loved DonnaLonna Kitchen Show featured on KHOI Radio on Tuesdays (noon and replayed at 7PM).  I met Donna a few years ago when she was an outgoing board member for the Iowa Organic Association and I was an incoming board member.  I was struck by her intelligent, yet caring, attitude when it came to all things farm and local foods and I appreciated her willingness to just speak honestly in conversation.  In short, she got my respect fairly quickly.  

When I was asked if I would come on their show and speak about things like the ban of glyphosate in Mexico, dicamba drift and other things farm - I was honored.  And here is that show!

Like so many things we do with Zoom - there are so many moments where it was hard to read the cues, so we ended up speaking over each other a few times.  But, otherwise, I had a great time and I enjoyed speaking with Lonna and Donna.  I'd heard some of their shows in the past and I find them to be informative, yet uplifting - even if the topic may not be an entirely happy one.

Another recent radio conversation with Melinda Hemmelgarn (Food Sleuth Radio), aired in January.  After Rob's Pesticide Action Network blog Living A Dicamba Nightmare was published I was contacted by Hemmelgarn and was impressed with her preparation and insight.  It was not a difficult decision to agree to have a conversation about the production of healthy foods and the hurdles, such as dicamba drift, the prevent farms like ours from doing what we do best - raise good food for you while maintaining a healthy and diverse farmscape.

After the conversation I came to realize what it means for a person to have exceptional interviewing skills.  And the production quality was fantastic, even though I was not in a studio and only had my cell phone to make the connection to their studio.

You can listen to that show right here

If you like what you hear, feel free to share.  Not only will you share what I hope is a useful message, but you will also be pointing people to two useful and interesting radio show series that are worthy of our listening support.  In both cases it was an honor and a privilege to be able to be a participant.

Maybe I'll get to have a good conversation with these fine people again in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.