Monday, May 17, 2021

Community Steps Up

In case you weren't paying attention, it is now the middle of May.  And, in case you are not a person who raises poultry and vegetables, let me tell you how important the middle of May is for a farm like ours.

And, now, let me tell you how hard it is to do some of those things when you have lifting restrictions and some endurance limitations as you recover from a surgery.


 To put it simply.  It's hard.

And yet, we're still making some forward progress because we are part of a community of people who care and people who have stepped up to help when we need it. 

For example, yesterday (Sunday) we were graced with the presence of our good friends from Blue Gate Farm, Jill and Sean.  And with their help, as well as the help of Tammy's sister, Brenda, we moved Valhalla from its East position to its West position for the growing season.  And we moved it pretty much right on schedule.

How cool is that?

For those who don't exactly know what I am talking about, I put together a blog post a couple years ago that showed the process of moving Valhalla.  Tammy and I have been able to move the building by ourselves (with the aid of Rosie, the tractor) in the past.  But, that's when I could do whatever lifting was necessary.  Yesterday, we added willing and skilled hands and we got it done.

Yes, I was annoyed that I couldn't just do things.  Yes, I was still pretty darned tired by the end of the day because there WERE things I COULD do.  I don't remember how many deep squats and lunges I have done this weekend because I need to use different muscles to get down to the ground for things.  But, by the time we get to the end of the next couple of weeks, I'll have buns of steel!  Or maybe I'll just have a sore butt.  Whichever.

And, yes, I am relieved and pleased that we got the building moved.  And I am grateful for the help.

This move means we'll soon be able to put in the bell peppers we're growing for a seed contract with Seed Savers.  The plants are ready to go and it is always a bit easier to deal with them once they are out of pots and in the ground.

Next up?  We need to get our first batch of broilers out of the brooder and onto pasture.  Piece of cake.  Right?

2 comments:

  1. Thank God for friends! You have such good friends because you are good friends to them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And - Broilers are moved!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.